The First Presidential Debate

iVillage Member
The First Presidential Debate
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:30am

I wasn't going to watch the debate because my mind is already made up but I did anyways. I thought President Obama was horrible. He kept repeating strange statements and he didn't appear to know what he was talking about. It was like he had rehearsed for a different topic and was determined to stick to it no matter what. I'm so disappointed in the President. This is the guy who has been running our country for the last four years?

Brenda

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:22am
Romney made a big point of saying he'd work with Democrats...I thought this was funny in a creepy way because it was the Republican members of congress who refused to be involved in anything bipartisan, who became the "party of no", despite repeated efforts (and many concessions) on the president's part to forge compromises. Of course the Democratic members of the congress will work with whomever becomes president...don't look for the Republican members to do the same if Obama is reelected. They said "no" and they meant it!
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:48am

I remember hearing Romney say he would work with both democrats and republicans to close loopholes and implement a better health care plan.  I personally don't think it was a big deal that he didn't specifiy which loopholes he was talking about. We all know they exist and that they do not benefit the middle class. That sounded pretty clear to me.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:44am
muddymessalonskee wrote:

I guess...bombast and bloviation are better than actaul argument any day.  I prefer calm and reasoned to "high energy" trash talk...it's a presidential race, not a basketball game.

Last night I was watching news clipsof the President's "rebutal" and I am so disappointed. In my opinion he was behaving like a spoiled brat or one of those overpaid pompous sports stars who's been defeated by a newbie. His comments about the debate were sarcastic and he displayed an attitude I think extremely unbecomming for a man in his position. He seriously needs to take some time and regroup before he goes out in public again.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:40am

As I said, I'm sure both sides thought the other was stretching the truth and, according to factcheckers, they were. I also did not say that altitude was the reason. I suppose a better word for the way Obama appeared to me was "preoccupied" and it was a mistake on his part.

Romney said a lot of things that sounded great but did not explain how he would specifically do those things. How will he implement a health care plan that will only include the good parts of Obamacare? What loopholes will he close and who will they affect? Politicians say things all the time that sound great, but until I hear a way he plans to try to do that other than what George Bush did, they may as well be lies, no matter how well it is said.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:25am

I guess...bombast and bloviation are better than actaul argument any day.  I prefer calm and reasoned to "high energy" trash talk...it's a presidential race, not a basketball game.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:41am
Some people like that. Go figure.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:31am

Romney did look well rehearsed as they both should have been. I am curious however, what was Romney lying about? I wasn't able to pinpoint anything as a lie. I was determined to not like Romney so I have to admit I was impressed with his knowledge of things.  

Brenda

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 12:08am
He looked "Presidential" while telling one lie after another? To each his own...
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 4:07pm

I don't think he looked intimidated. I thought it was more a look of disbelief at times. I think one of the hardest things for either candidate to do would be to keep their composure when they feel the other is lying. Romney, on the other hand, looked like a dog waiting waiting for a ball to be thrown. He was defintely well rehearsed for any situation and I will give it to him, he had enthusiasm Obama lacked during the debate.

Theatrics aside, the substance is the same. We do not know any more about how Romney plans to do what he says he will do than we did before the debate.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:37pm

It's not the Obama supporters or the Romney supporters who need to be swayed, it is the wishy washy undecideds.  Romney hit it out of the park and I believe he did change the minds of a lot of those undecideds.  I wouldn't be suprised to see them leaning more towards Romney after the great performance he gave.  He was Presidential, confident and knowledgable.  Exactly what a President should be, unlike Obama, who looked like a deer in the headlights. We shall see what the polls say in a few days, but I have a feeling they won't be looking too good for Obama.