Second college overnight

iVillage Member
Second college overnight
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 11:02am

This visit was much better than DD's first college visit last week.  The program was well-organized, there were 7 students visiting so they all ate dinner together with their hosts, and after dinner everyone who wasn't studying seemed to be either going to an on-campus performance or watching the presidential debate.  The visit confirmed that this school is DD's #1 choice.

Now she just has to get in. . . they have an <10% acceptance rate!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 1:03pm

Thanks for the kind words.  This university has a 24% acceptance rate on ED vs. 10% overall, so since it's clearly her #1 choice, she's going for it.  We'll know in 10 weeks if she gets in - and in the meantime, she'll be submitting her application to eight other schools.

Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 2:23pm
That is great! The waiting is so hard! I am sure she will do great!

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:41am
Glad to hear this visit went better than the last and that it confirmed her thoughts on her first choice! Good luck to her!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 4:37pm

Hey ya'll hopefully you can help me understand as my oldest DD is a Sophmore now and we are just starting this process. We have been to a College Night and DD has done some research online but that is about it.

I had no idea that there were overnights...is this something that most Universities do? Is it usually just during the senior year?

my other question is about ED...my DD's #1 is Air Force Academy and I don't believe they do ED (could be wrong though) so I guess that means we are out of luck if she doesn't get in...as we can't ED for her #2 choice. Has anyone else looked into the service academy's and what happend if you don't get in. Right now we have about 10 schools that DD has on her list but I'm sure that list will be much different in a  year or 2.

Miki

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:07pm

We didn't do anything when our kids were sophomores.  There's not much to do yet at that stage. You *can* but it won't affect anything because you don't apply til fall of the senior year anyway.

After we had a list of colleges that DD was interested in, we visited most of them in the spring of her junior year.  After that she rank-ordered them.  She is interested in a couple of Ivy League universities, a few smaller liberal arts colleges, and two private universities that aren't Ivy League.

Each has its own set of requirements and ways to get to know the college.  Most of them prefer students who demonstrate strong interest in the college and give them opportunities to show it, such as a tour, information session, interview, overnight, and attending a class.  The offerings vary depending on the size and competitiveness of the school - one of the Ivies doesn't offer overnights but the other does; one of the liberal arts colleges selects applicants for interviews but says the interview isn't evaluative, but another practically requires it because it *is* evaluative.  You have to look at each individual school to see what they want from you. 

So, after visiting colleges for the first time in the spring, DD looked at what each of her top 5 choices offers and encourages, and that's what she's doing this fall, in her senior year.  She did two overnights at the colleges that offered them, is going on an interview at the college that requires it, and is doing nothing extra for the big universities that don't offer anything beyond the tour and info session. 

We have found, between our two oldest kids, that second visits are really helpful.  20yo DS visited 15 colleges and did second visits/interviews at about half of them.  His overnight at one school resulted in that school dropping out of his #1 slot and his second visit to another resulted in that one moving up to #1 and being the college he attends now.

I don't know about the service academies and ED.  Look at collegeboard.com's profile of each one.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:11pm
Thank you for the info....that is really good to know!!
Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:13pm
There is a lady at work, her DD is going to the Air Force Academy this year as a freshman. I will ask her tomorrow if I remember to see if her DD tried ED or not and get back to you.
Photobucket