So frustrated

iVillage Member
So frustrated
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 12:55pm

I went to my 38 wk appt. today and the first thing the dr. said when he came in was "are we to one week appointments already?!"  Ummm, hellllooo, I 've been on them for 2 wks already and I only have 2 wks left!  Grr... thats when I knew it wasn't going to be the best appt. ever.

He said he'd strip my membranes and that it would probably hurt and I would get crampy and maybe even spot afterwards and probably get more contractions.  Nope.  None of that.  It was slightly uncomfortable but nothing major like I've had with other pregnancies.  I'm almost wondering if he didn't do that great of a job on purpose.  He likes babys to stay in until the due date or even after (up to 2 wks).  He knows I want to be induced early because of conflicts in my school schedule and the fact that I have 6 other kids to find care for.  We've talked about it every week for the last month.

When we started talking about induction day he said we could do it on the 13th since he was on call anyway but then he said he had one other induction already that day so he didn't know if he could fit me in.  He will let me know if he can't (and he sounded like thats what would happen).  I get this suspicion that he's trying to make me go the full time.

I'm sooooooo bugged.  I was only a fingertip dilated and not effaced at all which didn't help matters.  I'm kind of freaking out right now.  I have midterms the week I'm due, a project due the following week and have to be at a 2 week long lab class 2 wks after my due date.  I need every day, every minute of recovery time I can get.  Why oh why is this the ONE time that I actually WANT/NEED to be induced and I have a dr. who's being a jerk about it?  My dr.'s in the past have always pushed it and seemed surprised that I didn't want to do it.

AAARRRRRRGHGGGHHHHH!  Frustrated!

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 3:35pm
Aww. I'm sorry your doc is being so oblivious. I'm almost positive acupuncture encouraged Valerie to make an early appearance. It's supposed to soften you up, and boy did it work for me. Fingers crossed everything falls into place, so you don't have to stress!

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 5:03pm
My doctor won't do anything until 39 weeks, induction wise. He also said he can't really strip membranes until at least 2-3 cms because you can't get a finger in all the way, so I'm guessing yours didn't really get stripped?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:28am

I agree with the last post - I don't know if you can strip membranes if you aren't dialated yet.  I've never looked it up, but that makes a certain kind of sense.

I'm sorry they're making you go full term.  I don't get why some doctors are so opinionated that every woman be treated exactly the same.  (I saw one OB who did routine episiotomies on everyone!)  I hope your baby comes naturally soon.  You definitely have a million reasons why you need this child to come now!  Too bad you didn't know about your doc's feelings earlier or you could have found somebody more willing to work with you.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 6:31am
As far as I know I wasn't stripped. The acupuncture just softened things up considerably. My grandma swore by stairs...

- JM