New Perspective

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
New Perspective
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:14pm

Yesterday I found out that I may lose my job in the near future due to a merger that may happen with my firm and another.  Even if I don't lose my job, I will still have a lot of negatives against and this does not make me happy in the least bit.  Last night I had a little pity party but after a good night's sleep, I feel refreshed and I have a new perspective.  In the meantime, I'm going to go on severe lockdown mode, just in case.  I am going to be even more diligent in my couponing, having a garage sale to make a little extra cash, etc.  I don't want to look for a new job just yet because if it doesn't happen, then I will have jumped the gun and hurt myself in the process.  So I'll stick it out and see how it plays out but I will still be brushing up my resume, sending it to employment agencies anyway, and thinking of other ways to make some extra money should the need arise.

Having a plan makes me feel much much better.

Michele

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:46am

Hi Michelle,

I hope you get good news on your job.  Nothing like a job change/scare to make us tighten our belts!  I hope you have your plan in place & start saving, saving, saving just in case!  Those emergency funds are ever so important!!

Have a good weekend

cindylee

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:34am

Michele:

I saw your post from yesterday and meant to write to you earlier. That's great that you are already feeling a little better.

In your previous post I think you questioned whether or not to pay off a bunch of debt or put money into savings. I went through something similar to you a couple years ago. I knew my husband was either going to leave his job  or have to leave due to cuts in the budget (he was also sick of it, so I knew he'd leave at some point). Because I had time to plan, I thought I'd pay off a bunch of debt so we could then live on just my salary. What I had not anticipated were a lot of things that life just throws at us. Unfortunately, life was lobbing them left and right and I ended up not having the money in savings to deal with things. This meant that, even though I had paid down some debt, I didn't have much in savings and we quickly depleted it.

If I were to do it over again, I'd have 3 months of expenses in a savings account rather than trying to pay things off ahead of time. Or I would at least do 50-50 between debt payoff and savings. But, truly, I think I'd go all-out of socking money away, just in case things get really tight. 

Didi

Community Leader
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:52am

I think we all need a pity party and often a good cry before we can move on and be okay with change. 

You are right not to panic, it could be that nothing happens.  And really, we should all be planning as if we may lose our job.  It can happen to anyone.

Serenity
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 12:07pm
Oh I hope you don't lose your job. I suggest you put a bit of money away and pay down debt. Both good strategies.
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:14pm

I also saw your post last night/early today but I wanted some time to mull it over and came back to the changed post.  Glad to see you feeling a little better today and that you seem to have a plan and are being proactive :smileyhappy:

So far as what to do money wise, I agree with the pps who said to save and pay down debt.  I hope things turn out well for you!

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:10pm

That's a great attitude! And it will help you to make sound decisions while seeing you through this.

Hopefully it doesn't come to pass though.

Hugs,

Dee

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 5:37pm
Good point, Serenity. No one is guaranteed much of anything these days.
Didi