34w appt, nst and dr said she won't stop labor now

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
34w appt, nst and dr said she won't stop labor now
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 8:54pm
During my nst I had 3 contractions! They were mild, but regular. Worried me. Dr said they were mild, and since I'm 34w now, she's not worried and would not stop labor if I went into labor now. I did not expect that.

Everything else was good, and fluid level was just right.

I've definitely had more frequent contractions today. I went home after the appt and drank water and napped. I need to try timing them now...
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:01am
34 weeks is a little early for my liking too but at least lungs are pretty much fully developed now and baby would likely only need a short trip to nicu. Try to relax (if you can) stress can make it worse. I hope it got better with sleep, kup
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:13am

Ahhh! No way! I wouldn't have expected that either, but their little lungs are pretty much developed now, so I guess it doesn't surprise me! 

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:45pm
I had 2 in 20 minutes my last NST, doctor didn't even say anything. I'm surprised your doctor said he wouldn't stop labor, mine always tries to stop labor until 37 weeks unless my water has broken.

Drink lots of water and take it easy! Hopefully this will pass and baby can bake for at least another 3 weeks. My 34 and 36 weekers were fine and came home with me, but I have know others that have had to stay in NICU for a week.

Good luck! And get some rest! :smileyhappy:
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:56pm

My first came with spontaneous labor at 35 weeks and 3 days. I had my 35 week appt, and I was only checked after complaining about contractions. I was already 2 cm. Three days later I lost my mucous plug at work and contractions started much more intense within 30 min. Went in, walked for an hour and went to 4 cm. Doctor broke my water and no mention of stopping it. She was 6 lb 5 oz, and we got lucky with a healthy baby. It's crazy how the stopping labor varies doc to doc! KUP and hopefully they die down a bit so your baby can cook a little longer!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers