Have I told you about my brother's latest treatment?

iVillage Member
Have I told you about my brother's latest treatment?
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:12am
I don't think I have! As I said in the MIL post, I don't even want to know how much this is...but it's really cool!
It's only approved for brain cancer and then only for certain stages. My brother qualified and started last week.

Basically, he wears a bunch of diodes on his head that send electro-magnetic pulses into his brain. They are set at a precise frequency and the intent is to disrupt the formation and separation of cancer cells. Side effects are basically skin irritation from the adhesive...that's it (well, that they know of...so far long term studies in Europe are promising though). He is hooked up to a battery pack and looks a bit sci-fi but I think he likes when people ask him about it. He gets a lot of stares when he's out but he likes to mess wuth people so sometimes he stares back...lol
He wears it at least 18 hours a day for four weeks and then they will do another MRI to see if it is working for him. Then they will evaluate whether he will continue with it or not.
This is a very new therapy...very exciting. I can see a sparkle in my brother's eyes that I haven't seen in awhile...hope!
I'm not sure if it will destroy cancer cells that are already there or if it just inhibits new growth and cellular divisions...either way, I am so happy he's getting to try something that's not poisoning his whole body.

Sarah

iVillage Member
Oh I do hope it works!!! Just think of how far that could go if it does work - - other things it might be applied to. Fingers crossed for him.
iVillage Member
Oh Wow that sounds amazing! I really, really hope it works for him, but even if it doesn't do everything they hope it will, at least he gets to have some fun along the way - he totally deserves that!

Carole

iVillage Member
That is so COOL!

I wore a similar thing (a TENS unit) when I was recovering from staph infection in high school. I KNOW about those LOOKS! Mine weren't on my head ... they were on my leg. Earned me the nickname "Sparky." And mine was to interrupt pain messages.

I hope this works for him, Sarah! I pray it does! Amazing what kinds of things we learn and have available to try, isn't it?

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

&nb
iVillage Member

That sounds like an amazing breakthrough Sarah, I hope the results are what you are all hoping for!

Elaine

iVillage Member
Fingers, toes, eyes Eric. All crossed Sarah. This sounds really promising.
iVillage Member
Etc. not Eric. Darn autocorrect!!!!
iVillage Member
We can cross eric too...i'm sure he won't mind. It's for a good cause after all! lol

Bill goes in Thursday for a follow up mri to see if there is any change in the tumor growth. He's really excited to see if this is working! I am too!

Sarah

iVillage Member

Oh, I do hope it works - and of course the fact that he's having fun with it is a huge bonus - fingers and toes crossed, and I'll cross Eric too if he passes by...

NEFH