}} QOTD for FRIDAY {{

iVillage Member
}} QOTD for FRIDAY {{
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 7:48am

Did you ever earn a " VARSITY LETTER"  while in school?

In case some of you (not in the US) are not familiar or have never heard of this, here's an explanation:
A varsity letter (or monogram) is an award earned in the United States for excellence in school activities. A varsity letter signifies that its winner was a qualified varsity team member, awarded after a certain standard was met.  The letter is usually sewed onto a "varsity jacket or sweater."

If this was not a practice at your school (or in your country) did you ever earn anything comparable?

photo Chairs_zps22c44493.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 7:52am

Nope

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:00am

Yes, I earned my letter for music (band and choir).  I was never very athletic but I did pretty well musically.  I played clarinet from 3rd grade til my senior year, four of them in our marching band. 

I was in the mixed choir at school from 7th grade til my senior year.  I earned several gold pins to put on the letter but I do not remember what any of them were for though... too long ago! 

I went to a fairly small school, our mascot was Tigers - Bendle Tigers, our school colors were maize & blue and this is what my letter looked like.

I never had it sewn onto a jacket or sweater... it is in a covered tub in the basement with all the other momentos of my younger days.

photo Chairs_zps22c44493.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:24am
I never got one. In our school you couldn't get a letter for music because it was academic. Letters were only given for athletics. I ran cross county my freshman year and track all four years, but no letter.

photo PinkUmbrella_zps59410ee1.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:39pm

Hahahahahaha.  No.  All-girls school.  Not sure we even had them. 

My children each had letter jackets.  One for marching band and one for drill team.  They were synthetic leather sleeves and a wool body.  Pricey.  After a few years the synthetic leather degraded into an unpleasant, greasy substance, and we threw the jackets away.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:33pm

I did letter with my swim team but never cared to have a jacket so they got pinned on my bulletin board.   I had the letter, several bars, and a few District and Regional champ patches.   Where we didn't have a swim team in junior high I could swim on the high school team from 7th grade on.   I wracked up.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg