It's a girl!

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-16-2008
It's a girl!
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:26am

Short version: Adelaide (Addie) Ruth was born 10/2/12 at 9:13pm, 8 lbs 5.3 oz, 19.5 inches long.

Long version: Tuesday at work, my boss agreed that I was making her nervous about driving 50 miles each way every day, and that I should work at our satellite campus on Wednesday and Thursday. Apparently that was all it took to relax my body enough to go into labor.

We were expecting things to go quickly since they did with Peter, and since I was already nearly 5cm last Friday. About 7:15 Tuesday evening, I told DH my back felt crampy. Stood up, and felt a trickle. I told him that my water had just broke and immediately got off the rug and onto the hardwoods. It gushed. Peter stood there saying "Mama's peeing!!" Literally, it was a flood.

I went and hung out on the toilet while DH worked on finding someone to come sit with Peter. Our childcare plans had fallen through the day before when our friends left for Charleston. His mom had agreed to come down, but she's an hour from us and wasn't answering her phone.

He finally got in touch with his aunt that lives 5 minutes from us, so she came over. We left the house around 8pm, since my midwife asked that I give her a couple minutes to finish her dinner.

It normally takes 10-15 minutes to get to the hospital depending on traffic. This time, it took right at 30 because of road construction. By then, contractions wnere really hopping. They were still 5 minutes apart, but were last a good 3 minutes at a time. Killer when sitting. We finally got there, and got a decent parking place. Then had to walk down this ridiculous hallway, because the elevators to L&D are on the opposite end of the building. Whomever designed it was an idiot.

Got to the floor, and were waiting on the nurses to buzz us in when the doors opened. Someone from DH's hometown came walking out, recognized him, and drug him to her daughter's delivery room to say hello. Who does that?! I'm in the hallway contracting and she's wanting him to socialize. So strange.

Anyway, we got to the desk and told them who we were. Unfortunately, there was tons of babies on the way, so all the nurses were busy. We stood there 5 minutes or so before someone took us to a room. Got there, stripped naked (it was so hot in there!), and my midwife came in. She needed to check me, but the crazy long contractions were making it hard. She finally got me to sit down and lean back so she could strap on the monitors and see where I was. SURPRISE! 9 cm,  +2. It was about 8:45. She and the nurse got started filling up the birth tub, and I mentioned pressure. They told me it was because I was so close. I begged to take off the monitors, so they finally did event though my 20 minutes wasn't yet up. By then, the tub was full so they agreed I could get in.

I sat up (I had been laying on my side curled up in a ball), and immediately laid back down. There was a head. Right.There. As in, they looked and could already see hair. I told them it hurt, and I was NOT having that baby. There was lots of yelling my name trying to get my attention to at least unclench my knees so the head could come out. Nope. Not doing it. Someone pried them open. I yelled about some pressure, then shot water across the room. Apparently there was another pocket in there. That was all it took. I told them again I wasn't having that baby, and told DH I didn't like this at all. He looked at me and said, "But baby, all you have left to get out is the ears..." So, no actual pushing, and the head's already halfway out. I gave a half-hearted grunt at the prodding of the nurse, and the head was out. My midwife told me, and I told her to get the rest out too!

She gave a gentle pull (because I was still refusing to push), then had DH let go of me and pull up the baby. I told them I was pretty sure it was a girl. By then she was on my chest, so the nurse pulled back the blanket and confirmed. It was 9:13pm. A couple minutes later, my mom called to say she was halfway there and see how things were going. Sean loved getting to tell her and surprise her so quickly!

I held her for a good hour and a half or so before they ever did any exam. She latched on quickly, and has been a champion nurser. They got her weight and length, then sent us up to mother/baby. All in all, a perfect experience. And I wanted to go drug-free but wasn't sure I would be able to, so I'm glad it went so fast. And general consensus was that I handled labor amazingly well; I just don't like to push. :smileyhappy:

Here's my baby girl! She looks so much like big brother and daddy right now. It's the cheeks!


by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-21-2005
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:55am
Wow awesome birth story! And I know what you mean about that stupid hallway! I had to walk down it with kidney stone pain 6 weeks back. Glad everything it great, can't wait to finally meet you guys eventually!
Avatar for cmkristy
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-05-2005
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 12:28pm
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl! She is just beautiful! Welcome to the world, Adelaide.

 photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-05-2006
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:08pm

She is beautiful. You are so funny about not wanting to push and they had to pry your legs open. I am glad she is here.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-09-2006
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 5:53pm
How cute! And how amazing! Great story!!! congrats
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-27-2012
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 6:14am
Congratulations on your little girl!! Glad to hear your "cervix of steel" fInally gave way. ;-) If I had known they would pry my legs open for me, I would've let them too. Lol

- JM

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-08-2011
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:12am

Congratulations!  What a wonderful name!  I babysat an Addi (Adianna) last year and loved the nickname.  That's funny that you wouldn't push.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012