Do you like snow?

iVillage Member
Do you like snow?
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:38am
In an effort to stay relevant in regards to the weather, and in between episodes of shows about lifeguards and icebreakers, The Weather Channel has said it will begin naming winter storms the way we do hurricanes. http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-name-winter-storms-20121001 Quote The process for naming a winter storm will reflect a more complete assessment of several variables that combine to produce disruptive impacts including snowfall, ice, wind and temperature.  In addition, the time of day (rush hour vs. overnight) and the day of the week (weekday school and work travel vs. weekends) will be taken into consideration in the process the meteorological team will use to name storms. This is an ambitious project. However, the benefits will be significant. Naming winter storms will raise the awareness of the public, which will lead to more pro-active efforts to plan ahead, resulting in less impact and inconvenience overall.  End quote. :smileyhappy: The one benefit of all this is that the inaugural list of names is awesome. They used various gods from different mythologies. And a few that some star trek fan obviously threw in that they're just trying to hide with double meanings. :smileyhappy: Athena  Brutus Caesar   Draco Euclid  Freyr Gandolf Did they miss spell Gandalf? :smileysad:  Helen Iago Jove Khan Someone is going to feel the Wrath of Khan. Maybe it will be Q. :smileywink:  Magnus Nemo Orko Plato Q Rocky Will his storm hit Philly first? :smileyhappy:   Shouldn't they have used names of famous ice queens? :smileywink: Saturn Triton Ukko Virgil   How long before the storms get corporate sponsors?:smileywink: Walda Xerxes Yogi :smileywink: Yogi and no booboo? Zeus :smileyhappy:   Too bad Zeus is so far down the list, we'll never get to see it happen. Gotta love the headline: "Buffalo feels the wrath of Zeus" Who lives closest to the first named storm? Think of any names you would rather see hit your town first?
Community Leader
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:03am
I like snow, but not tons of it at the same time. We name blizzards, the Blizzard of '79, 2011, etc....

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:21am
The only blizzards i survive here are from Dairy Queen! :smileywink: When I was growing up my girl scout troop went on a winter camping trip to go sledding and ice skating on a pond along the Chesapeake Bay and we got snowed in by a blizzard. I thought missing school we would be like heroes when we got back to town. Everyone on the east coast had been snowed under too! I did learn how to play streets of Laredo on the my girlf friends guitar; blessed me musically to learn this instrument for the rest of my life.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:37am
I grew up in Buffalo and I would be perfectly happy if I never saw another flake of snow! As for naming storms, it seems to me that it is a way to ratchet up the anxiety and increase the weather channel viewership. I lived in The DC suburbs for 15 years and I can assure you that preparation was intense before every storm. Good luck finding any bread, milk or toilet paper once any accululating snow is predicted. Robin
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:35pm
I like snow; I grew up with it. We have ice here - I don't like that! We sometimes get an inch or two of snow but we're surprised if it's there 24 hours later. Naming - cute, gimmicky; not sure what it'll do. It'll be interesting to see what criteria they use before it's considered name-worthy...

Sue
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:17pm

When we visited WI in August, I did think back to the days when I could X-country ski to the park and I miss that.  But the brown slop on the streets and in our garage for months?  I'm so glad to be rid of that here in NoVA.  

But I still think I'd choose Milwaukee or Madison as a retirement location over the hot & humid east coast, as long as they turn blue again soon.  My DH loved Sedona, but I'm afraid they'll run out of water in AZ.   My brother and SIL recently moved to Naples, FL--way too humid (and too homogeneous) for too much of the year for me.  We still need to explore CO and the west coast.  I have a feeling we'll end up wherever our sons decide to settle, and if DH retires before then, maybe we'll get two cheap places, one warm & one cold.

Naming the snow storms is fine with me, as long as I'm not stuck in them.  Categorizing them based on their characteristics will make them easier to compare & remember.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:02pm
Hi Jean, Your comment on naples made me laugh, West coast of Florida is populated from all the midwesterners following I-75 south! We set up little Michigan and Ohio State collegiate shops in our stores! By homogeneous were talking about the age? The working folk for Naples live in Bonita.
Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 9:04pm

I love the snow, probably because I've spent so little time in it. In my 20s I lived in a place where we typically got one good snowfall each winter and the weather would warm up and melt it away by the time it got slushy and brown. 

For the past 30 years I've lived someplace where palm trees abound, and I could catalog their problems. Before I moved here I liked the idea of palm trees, until I actually owned some---I had them removed. Not to worry, the mess from my neighbors' trees makes it to my yard anyway :smileymad: 

We may get a couple of those named storms. Usually they hit the continental US in Wash or Oregon but occasionally the jet stream dips and they come ashore in SoCal. Especially in El Nino years when we get the "Pineapple Express" storms. I love some of the weather terms they use. Later this week we're supposed to get a Catalina Eddy!

How about "San Diego pounded by Jove, by Jove" or "SoCal is finding Nemo"??

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:42am

Midwesterners, sort of.  My brother and sil lived in Dayton (right on 75) before moving to Naples, but he was raised in WI and she in Boston. Over the years they also lived in Boston, Iowa and here in NoVA.

Homogeneous? Yes age (so few schools compared to around here), but also ethnicity.  I think even my little hometown in WI, with  sizeable Hispanic and Vietnamese populations, is more diverse than Naples. 

We stayed in Naples when we visited.  I believe that the working people could not afford to live there--restaurant prices were comparable to the DC metro area, and although still depressed, housing prices were on the high side, too.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM