How to love a diaper change:

iVillage Member
How to love a diaper change:
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:16am

In dealing with a wild and wiggly toddler, I stumbled on this and thought I would share.  It's a great read about how we can have a better mindset for diaper changes.  I think it's just as true for a screaming and floppy newborn as it is for a big and independent toddler. 

I thought this statement was great!  "Diapering is not just about getting a job done, or having a clean baby. Our hands are a baby’s introduction to the world. If they touch slowly, gently, and “ask” a child for cooperation rather than demand it, we are rewarded with a relationship bound in trust, respect and the inexorable knowledge of our importance to each other. "

www.janetlansbury.com/2010/05/how-to-love-a-diaper-change/

What do you think?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:02pm

I have to be honest.  I thought it was insane, but I have been trying the whole calm naration of the diaper change and it has really improved our changes.  My DS was pretty aweful for a while.  He was kicking and trying to bite and being completely out of control when we changed him.  Often DH or I would have to pin DS's chest with one hand while trying to diaper with the other or her would roll over and take off running.  The Pickler approach to the diaper change has really improved things.  It isn't 100% easy or wonderful everytime, but he has calmed down quite a bit and isn't acting out nearly so much when I do diaper changes.

It does take some time, but I really do think that it is improving things for us.