First Week of October!

iVillage Member
First Week of October!
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:09am

What a week!  How was yours?

On Friday, Ian had his TKD promotion test.  It was his first one at his new school, and the whole experience was so different from how it was at his previous school.  He told me he had butterflies in his stomach the night before, but he did really well.  Breaking a board was a part of the test, and he did it on his first try.  He didn't mess up his form at all, and he remembered all of his self defense moves and sparring drills.  He was so happy with himself, which was great to see because when we switched schools he was having a major crisis of confidence.  This weekend is a tournament.  I wasn't going to sign him up because of what happened at the last one, but he came to me the other day and said that he really wants to compete in this one.  So, he and I will be going.  DH said he doesn't want to go because it's too hard to watch him get down on himself.  I don't think that's going to happen this time, though.  We'll see.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:28pm
Fingers crossed!! We used to take TKD as a family, it was great fun (not to mention great family therapy!!) My dd was ruthless in tournaments, she made it up to high red (just before black) when our instructor left! Dh was not far behind her as was ds. We never continued. Ds, liked the drills, board breaking, etc... but never liked sparring. He never did well in the sparring part of tournaments. And, in many ways, it is the same issue he has in football, not aggressive enough, always waits for someone else to make the first move.
Going back to the week, dh and I were involved in auto accident on Thursday morning, not fun. We are OK, the car is repairable, and the other guy got the ticket. It was a cabbie who ran a red light. We are still moving a bit slow. DH is laid off again, sigh. We did go to the dentist today, along with ds. Dd came home for the weekend from college, but had to go back, so I need to get her in when she is on break. We all got good check ups, then we headed out to the zoo. Dh and ds had scouts tonight. Ds has no school tomorrow, but he does have a football game. He has another on Saturday. He will work with his tutor this weekend for H Geometry. He has football every night, but that is nothing new. He has to get ready for his solo auditions in band, all students have to do this. He is busy, as usual.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 2:37pm
He did really well at the tournament over the weekend! He won a gold medal for olympic sparring and a silver in breaking. He would have won gold had he waited another second or two for the guy holding the board to be ready, but he got ahead of himself. He'll know better for next time. I think the stress of the day got to him, though because the next day he had a major migraine. :smileysad:

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad everyone is OK and the car can be fixed.

Layoffs are brutal. How is your DH handling being home?
Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 6:06pm
My hubby has been home more than working in the past 3 3/4 years. It has been horrid!! THat is awesome for your ds, he will do better on his next tournament. THe car will be around Thursday or Friday next week, so I am thrilled.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!