FLOP! Homemade Laundry Detergent (help!)

iVillage Member
FLOP! Homemade Laundry Detergent (help!)
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:12pm

What is the trick to getting this stuff to work?  The liquid is just a pain, and I've tried a few different recipes.  I found a powder recipe that was OK, but someone wiped out my bookmarks and now I can't find it.  I made a batch that I thought was right (same ingredients...might be different quantities, though) and there were grease stains all over our clothes!  -Probably from the grated Fels Naptha soap.  I've read that Dr. Bronners or Zote might be a good alternative.  Has anyone tried these?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:32am

I used the recipe from this blog:  http://frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-soap.html

The only thing I did differently was to use 2/3 of the bar instead of 1/3.  Her tip on using an immersion blender to get all the lumps out really seemed to help.  I really liked her cute packaging idea, but I didn't want to buy a new dispenser.  The last bottle of All laundry detergent we bought was one of those bigger dispenser type things, so I rinsed it out and that's what we use now.

I've never added essential oil to my detergent, but I think I'd like to try that.  I just don't have any, and I can't seem to remember to look for any until it's time to make the next batch!

Community Leader
Thu, 07-25-2013 - 11:07am

I know this is an old thread, but this is one that we use:

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 07-25-2013 - 11:08am

well that didn't work, let me attach it

Photobucket