Male cat worries

iVillage Member
Male cat worries
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:26pm

Well I found out the kitten we are supposed to be getting in a couple of weeks is a male. I am so worried. The last male cat I had sprayed and there was nothing I could do to get him to stop. He was vet checked over and over. Even when we moved to a new house with new furniture and NO previous animals ever in the house...he sprayed. Im so worrie that this is going to happen again. I cant go through that again. I plan on having him neutered asap, which after calling around to a few vets they say is 4 months old. Ease my fears please...or tell me if there is anything I can do to prevent it from happening again. Please?

Edited to add. The previous male cat did have diabetes. I dont know how long he actually had it until he was diagnosed. My aunt (who has the kitten right now) called back to give me an "it will be ok" pep talk and swears that is why the cat sprayed...the diabetes. Ugh I dont know. Im going to be so paranoid.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 6:57pm

I have two male cats now and have had them for 11 years and have NEVER had them spray.

I think it's important to distinguish between spraying and inappropriate urination as they are not the same.  Are you sure he was actually spraying or just peeing outside the box? 

I've never heard of a cat spraying because he was diabetic BUT it can cause inappropriate urination as they have to pee more. So make sure that you have more than one litter box for him.  The rule of thumb for the number of boxes is one for each cat PLUS one.  So, one cat = two boxes.  THEN if you have a mutli-story house there should always be a box on every level that the cat is allowed to go.

The best way to keep him from getting diabetes and any number of other issues is to start him off on the right foot by NOT feeding dry food.  It's the worst thing you can feed a cat and contributes to a host of illnesses includeing diabetes and can cause urinary problems in cats  Male cat's can have urinary blockages which are life-threatening if not treated immediately so make sure to be vigilent in this area with a male.  This is why you always want to scoop twice daily to make sure they're peeing okay.

There are any number of reasons that a cat will not use a litter box.  Here's a great link to determine what the issue may be.

http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

However, I wouldn't just say that he was spraying because he's a male unless of course he was an intake male.  And frankly females can and do spray too if they're intact.  This is a cat's way of communicating and marking their territory so make sure whatever cat you get is spayed or neutered.

Good luck and enjoy your new kitty!

Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 9:59am

I can understand your concerns.  Spraying is a hard behavior to have to live with.  I have had many male cats in my life and only one was a sprayer.  I have a diabetic cat now and he has never sprayed and has diabetes for 4 years along with asthma and a few other health problems.

Like Lynn said there is a difference between spraying and peeing out of the litter box.  Spraying starts from being upset and is a behavioral problem. It's a marking behavior just like male dogs peeing on things outside, to mark their territory. Peeing outside the litter box is usually a medical problem.   Spayed female cats will spray too.

I would get your new kitten neutered ASAP, like you are wanting to.  I'm sure every thing will be fine so just enjoy your new kitten when you get him. 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:10am

Thank you both. The other cat would always pee in the same spot over and over again. I agree that it was totally behavioral. I guess they thought that if he wasnt feeling well bc of the diabetes, he'd almost blame us, and pee because he was upset and didnt feel well.

I called different vets in the area, including the one we use and they all say earliest they will neuter is 4 months. Right now the kitten is only 6 weeks. And yeah, growing up we had a few male cats and never had an issue with peeing or spraying. That one cat just did it so much that it really sticks in my mind.

Visit

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:10am

Oh, and thank you for the link!

Visit

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 2:37pm

From what you describe he wasn't spraying but peeing outside the box and that's totally different and 95% of the time due to a medical issue. 

Cat's don't do this to spite us or get back at us.  They do it because something is wrong either medically or with the litter box situation.  Feed them the proper food and have the correct number of boxes that are scooped minimally twice a day and one shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck with the newbie!

Lynn

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:40am

I have to agree with everyone else.....I have several male cats and no one sprays. It sounds like your previous cat was peeing inappropriately as opposed to spraying (think vertical vs horizontal).

4 months if ok to neuter. A lot of shelters/rescues do it earlier, but conventional vets are still resistant. Around here, the standard for our local low cost spay/neuter clinic is the have to weigh at least 2 pounds due to the anestetic. So most of my fosters are done pretty early.

I know it can be hard to see a previous situation and not project it on the new cat. But, the new baby deserves a chance to start fresh. Just make sure he has his own space since he is little and access to plenty of boxes.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:01am

Thanks. Yes I am making preparations for him. A box of his own, things to keep him happy. A tree for height. I am excited for him to join us. But yeah it is hard not to project the bad from another on the new.

On the link that another lady posted for me, the website said to use storage containers with an entry cut in the side, because they are bigger. I thought that was genious! and so much cheaper than actual litter boxes! Why are litter boxes so pricey? Well any that are a decent size at least!

Visit

Community Leader
In reply to: lcni
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:19am

I have been using large storage containers as litter boxes for years and they work great.  They are so much cheaper than litter boxes too especially when there is a sale.  I have even gotten them at the dollar store in the past.

I'm sure your new kitten will do great.  It is hard not to worry about spraying, but I think your other cat wasn't spraying at all, it was all medical problems.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:04pm
I use storage containers with the door cut in them like Dr. Lisa's site suggests. It's so much cheaper and bigger than anything you can buy as a litter box on the market. Enjoy your new little boy!