PPD

iVillage Member
PPD
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 1:56pm

Well I had my 6 week postpartum check-up with my doc yesterday. She diagnosed me with postpartum depression and decided to start me on an anti depressant. I'm not really surprised, but it does make me feel a little like a failure. With my oldest everyone in my family told me to expect some PPD because it was my first and it would be a huge change for me blah blah blah. But that didn't happen at all. I knew things would be tougher this time because I wouldn't just be caring for a newborn, our financial situation is a little tighter, and my husband is gone for work 17 hours a day 5 days a week. But I kind of hoped that I would be able to cope with it  :-(.  

Community Leader
In reply to: manddande3
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:01pm

Honey, you don't have to feel like a failure.  I have had raging PPD with all three of my boys and just when I thought I was getting better, I backslid and am down in the dumps again.  I dragged my butt out of bed this morning to get DS1 off to school, sent him to the bus stop with the nanny, and went back to bed.

PPD has nothing to do with your ability to cope and everything to do with changing hormones.  It's not something we choose, and it doesn't mean that we're less capable.

On a practical note, support is essential.  With your DH having to work so much, is there other family that you can ask to help you out?  Or if not family, maybe an older teenager that can come over for a few hours after school to watch the kids while you take some time out to have a shower, drink a cup of tea, whatever helps to lift you up.

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this, but I'm in the trenches too and I'm here for you.  We can get through this.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 4:52pm

No need to feel like a failure because you aren't. If anything your hormones are failing YOU. You are lucky you got diagnosed so early on so you don't end up missing the first 4 months of the babies life. I was there. Looking back I probably had ppd with second child that never resolved before getting pg with third child which put me on full bedrest at 11 weeks. When I had third child I kind of shut down. I didn't share how I was feeling because I was supposed to be the mom, the strong one, the one who held it all together, the one who made everything ok. I completely shut down. I thought I was doing a good job of putting on a show to keep how I was feeling hidden. What mother can't take care of her children? Well, my husband, my father, some of my friends noticed anyway. It all came crashing down in one day when I was about 4 months post pardum. Then I found hope. My family and friends rallied around me, my doctor backed me up and prescribed something and I slowly began to get my life back. The longer you sit in ppd the harder it is to get out. You are on your way now. You will get  through it one day at a time. You have support here if you need to vent, cry, complain or check in for accountability. You got this girl!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 9:13pm

Thanks for all the words of encouragement ladies. It's good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. I wish I had more of a support system around me, but if my husband is all that I have I will take it. We can all make it through this.