Has your child had to deal with bullies?

iVillage Member
Has your child had to deal with bullies?
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:19pm

I just saw read a sad story about a girl with cerebral palsy who has been bullied by a man and his son; 

"Stop, please," a tearful Hope Holcomb says in a TV news segment. "Try to be nice."

Holcomb, a 10-year-old from East Sparta, Ohio, who has cerebral palsy, was pleading for her neighbors to stop bullying her. Disturbing video first aired by Fox 8 shows next-door dad William Bailey and his 9-year-old son appearing to imitate the girl's limping shuffle. Holcomb's parents, Tricia and Michael Knight, say the incident caps a pattern of torment, and they're pursuing charges of aggravated menacing against the Baileys.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/hope-holcomb-10-year-old-_n_1938986.html?1349366568&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl23%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D215654

There seems to be a lot of discord between the two families, but it doesn't excuse their behavior towards this little girl.  Have you ever had to deal with a situation like this?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:10pm
Melissa, sadly DS has been dealing with a boy in his class teasing him. He tells DS that he can't run fast like other kids. DS told him that he hasn't had to deal with half of what he has. The kid then started to make fun of him because DS has had to have surgeries.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 3:59pm
That's sad :smileysad: Are you going to talk to the school about it?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:34pm

We haven't had to deal with something that extreme, but the kids are still young.  That story just breaks my heart :smileysad:  We have had some strange glances and such, but so far that's been it.  People are just so mean.  

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 2:00pm

My husband has cerebral palsy and when he was young he got bullied by kids all the time. By the time he got to middle school and high school there was a group of guys in his class that wouldn't let him get picked on. But when we go places people do stare at my husband. He works in a school so he gets questioned by kids all the time as to what is wrong with him. He answers all their questions and is comfortable answering them now.  For the most part people are very nice to us. He rides a scooter now and we have been everywhere from Disney to Bahamas to NYC to Atlantic City with this scooter. People have been nothing but nice and polite to us. They open doors for us and let us go ahead of them on line. I have seen such kindness from strangers.  There really is good people out there. This man is just ignorant and he is raising his son to be just like him. I can't believe what cowards these two are to bully a little girl. They should be watching out for her instead of making front of her. The worst thing in my opinion is an adult bullying a child. It takes such a morally bankrupt person to do this. They should bullying someone their own age and maybe be taught a lesson.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:39am
How sad, it's just like the pattern of abuse from adult to child....same thing with the tormenting....