2 losses.. opinions needed.

iVillage Member
2 losses.. opinions needed.
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 6:36pm

I've had 2 BFP in 4 months. Both times my HCG numbers not rising as they should. Dr. thought they were ectopic. Both treated with 2 rounds of Methotrexate. I had a HSG test this week it was completely normal.

Does anyone know what potential causes HCG numbers to not rise as they should AND it not be ectopic? I have an appt with RE next week. Just hoping there are others.

Thanks!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 2:21am

My recommendation is to load up on the folic acid, if you aren't already. MTX strips your body of folic acid, as you probably know, which can cause birth defects. It could be that the second pregnancy was affected by not having enough folic acid in your body. Wait 2-3 months before starting folic acid supplements, then take them religiously for 2-3 more months, because it takes time for your body to build it up again. I have also had an ectopic treated with MTX and these were my OB's recommendations. I hope you get a healthy, sticky one soon!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 3:09pm

I am so so sorry for your losses! You knowI have only had one pregnancy that my HCG was too low so I am not sure!  I hope that you get the answers you seeking though KUP!

~Jessica~

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:17am
My numbers both times were wacky. They would rise appropriately, fall, rise a little, fall, just all over the place. I had multiple ultrasounds each time before mtx.

After the first, I was put on progesterone support. The bean did stick longer the second time, so I'm hopeful.

Since my HSG was completely normal, I don't think my beans were ectopic. I guess my fear is chromosomal abnormalities.

I have my first RE appt on Wednesday. We will get to the bottom of this.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:00pm

are your numbers rising too quickly (that's usually a sign of molar pregnancy) or not doubling within the 48 hours (usually a sign that the pregnancy will not progress)... I'm not sure, but I think ectopic pregnancies can have normal hcg levels, just not implanted in the correct location..  are they doing ultrasounds before putting you on the medication to confirm that the pregnancies weren't growing inspite of irregular hcg levels?  healthy pregnancies can start off with rocky numbers.

You may want to have some cycle bloodwork drawn to make sure your progesterone is sufficient to support a pregnancy and find any other information that may explain why the pregnancies aren't sticking. After 2 miscarriages and 3 chemical pregnancies, my magic solution was prometrium and a baby aspirin.... all bloodwork came back "normal" but dr said that those two things couldn't "hurt", so why not...

Also, early early losses can very often be attributed to chromosomal abnormalities... you may want to have some karyotyping done.

I am sorry for your losses and hope that you get a sticky bean soon, or at least some answers that will help you!

karen lynn

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers