Am I crazy to even think about do this?

iVillage Member
Am I crazy to even think about do this?
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:02pm

Since I am having an early November baby, do you think I am crazy for thinking about going out on Black Friday to Khol's, Babies R US and Joann's with my lo in a wrap carrier? I really want to look for good baby deals at Khol's and Babies R US since I have don't have much in the way of baby things.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:48pm
It would definitely be ambitious! I agree with Jen though. You may miss out on some doorbuster deals but they'll still have the bulk of the sales through the weekend at least. I wouldn't trust the crowds to not push and shove.

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:52pm
I would say it's a personal choice. I had my DD 3 weeks before Christmas and I had to get her out in a mall a few days before Christmas. I kept her covered and hurried, but I wasn't too worried about it.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 9:21pm
I would do it online. You can get the same deals, sometimes even better online. I have been going out on black Friday for 10 plus years now, and every year the people get crazier and crazier. I would never bring my kids out on Black Friday, especially first thing in the am
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 9:19am

I've done Black Friday while giantly pregnant, about this far along, and those crazy people showed ZERO consideration. I wouldn't risk it, especially at Walmart & Toys R Us/Babies R Us. Target is usually more civilized and so is Kohl's, but if you're trying for the doorbuster type stuff, you'll have to wait outside in line before the store opens, which = a 2 or 3 week old baby in the cold. 

If you shop online, you get to start at midnight, and you'll get great deals too, but if you just want to get out to feel normal (which may be my reasoning for going), can you leave the baby with Daddy? 

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:17am
I tend to agree with the majority, and agree with the comments about online shopping. You often find better deals and you can get free shipping, saving yourself the hassle of going out in the crazy crowds and spending the gas money and the time it takes to get there, plus the hassle over finding parking,etc. I haven't been out on Black Friday in probably 20 years, so I have only heard about others' experiences second hand though.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:53pm

Thank you everyone for your advise. Joann's and Khols are fairly tame compared to places like Best Buy and Walmart on Black Friday and have things in the stores you can't get online. My MIL and I are going to try to go out to at least Khols and Joann's around 9 that morning since those stores door busters are from opening until noon and you just have to be in the store by that time, not at the check out. I would never go to the HUGE places like target, Best Buy, and Walmart because going into those stores normally is terrible. If BRU has good online sales then I can just skip that store. And my DH can't watch my lo because he has to work from 7am to 7pm since he fixes computers at Best Buy.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:23am
I find that BRU has pretty great clearance sales year round on the last season's clothing. I also saw this article that might be informative about Black Friday deals. Interesting... may not apply to items you are interested in buying, but for what it's worth...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/myth-black-friday-deal-030600442.html
Lilypie Maternity tickers