Hot Flashes

iVillage Member
Hot Flashes
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:10pm

I used to lurk on this board years ago when I was perimenopausal & found it so helpful esp the oasis information. I'm back because I am so tired of hot flashes & night sweats. I started perimenopause at 43 but my periods didn't stop until I was 51. I have had almost every symptom out there & it has been a difficult time. I'm very different from the rest of the females in my family who really didn't feel menopause was really this difficult. Hormones have never been an option due to a history of breast cancer in our family & I have been watched for years due to problems that thankfully didn't develop into anything serious.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone has still had hot flashes & night sweats 6 yrs after your period stopped. These are really quite frustrating as I soak my clothes. I had to buy a mattress pad with dual controls as I keep our bedroom at 50 degrees & my poor husband freezes so turns on his mattress even in the middle of summer. I used to be cold & needed the heat up high. Our electrical bill is very high in the summer, lol. My doctor says this too will pass & doesn't seem concerned but it is frustrating. It has been almost 12 yrs since I started with these symptoms.

Thanks.

Community Leader
In reply to: deenow17
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:46pm

Hi Dee! I never had hot flashes and I am now years surgically post menopausal. And though most women get beyond, not all women do get beyond... My aunt had a hysterectomy as a young woman. She had hot flashes with sweat running down her face and her hair till she died in her 70's.

Do you have a ceiling fan in your bedroom? If not, and if you own the home, I would suggest one. We have one in our bedroom and it often runs about 365. No, my husband isn't crazy about it but.. he can pull the covers up and the air movement helps me. (I don't do well with 'heat'..) Do you keep a glass of ice water by the bed? Do you wear pajama's you can shed? I wear 3 pieces.. bottoms, tank and a cardigan. I don't usually wear the cardigan but I can if it is cold. If I then get hot later, I can (on the Oasis you should find some tips for night hot flashes..)

Good to see you!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: deenow17
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 7:50am
deenow17 wrote:

I used to lurk on this board years ago when I was perimenopausal & found it so helpful esp the oasis information. I'm back because I am so tired of hot flashes & night sweats. I started perimenopause at 43 but my periods didn't stop until I was 51.   

welcome

I am sorry you are going through all that.  I'm one of the fortunate ones.  I've never experienced a hot flash, but my mother was so miserable.