Placenta Pervia

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Placenta Pervia
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 9:56pm

I had my NT scan today, I'm 13 1/2 weeks.  It was amazing to see the baby moving around.  However the technician said it looks like I may have placenta pervia which is when the placenta attaches to the cervix instead of the wall of the uterus.  She said they "see this a lot early in pregnancy and may resolve itself" and that I shouldn't worry.  She also said if I do have placenta pervia, it could be attached in a manor which would not affect my pregnancy, it could cover the cervix causing me to have to have a c-section or it could "inhibit growth".  But, like I said, she stressed me not to worry yet.  She told me they'd keep an eye on it and check back at my 20 week ultrasound.

Well I get home and I'm looking this up on the internet and it sounds worse than she made it sound.  Basically heavy bleeding in the 2nd trimester which may result in having to deliver baby early.

I'm trying not to worry but, anybody know anything about this?

Community Leader
In reply to:
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 4:35pm

Hi Emily.. it's actually called Placenta Previa

here's a link from the Mayo Clinic's Site

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/placenta-previa/DS00588/METHOD=print

In alot of cases it's not an issue because as the uterus grows and stretches, the placenta moves away from the opening of the cervix. 

The Dr's will stay on top of this for you.  They might put you on bedrest later in your 2nd trimester, etc.  and you'll need to be aware of any bleeding or doing strenuous activity. 

Alot of women deal with it and end up having a c-section because the placenta is blocking the cervix opening.

Try not to worry yourself and just take it easy.

(I was on bedrest for more than 4 months with my recent delivery and had a c-section)

Wendy