I'm SOOOO jealous...

iVillage Member
I'm SOOOO jealous...
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:30pm

of everyone here!

We have paid off $9K from the mortgage and $5K from our car loans since Jan. But, it was a struggle to do this. We already live frugally. I got a huge promotion at work - and it's mostly eaten by the higher cost of commuting.

AND :smileysad: we just found out that we'll be assessed $28K on our t/house. We are going to be almost $13K more in debt than we started the year.

We are trying really hard and losing ground. This sucks!

We have basic cable, no cellphones, cheap food options (I buy bulk, make homemade, etc)...we've even cut eating out to this past two weeks. (I have signed up to do free audits at McDonalds so the kids can get free meals there :smileyhappy:) We both do side jobs for extra income...

There is just nothing else we can do. I have to accept that this is not "our time"...and I hate accepting there is nothing I can do. Hence my jealousy. But I will happily live vicariously through everyone on here and cheer you on. But I won't have snowflakes or goals (it's too depressing!).

Dee

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 7:06am

Hi Dee :smileyhappy:

If it makes you feel any better the only reason I'm able to make what progress I have is because my DH is deployed right now.  He was promoted in June so his raise plus the $500 extra for being gone is saving us right now.  If he were home we'd be making minimums with a tad extra and mostly treading water because we would break even each month.

When I found out he was leaving I cried... mostly because I would miss him but partly because I knew the extra money would get us out of this mess.  Something will come along to give you an extra boost and make things a little better.

Also, 14k in 9 months is no joke! You're kicking butt!

(Edited to add: Not trying to lay a guilt trip.  Just stating that an extreme circumstance has helped me out but you've managed with what you regularly have!)

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:24am

Awe, Dee...you are doing great!   Just being aware of your debt & being on spending plan is half the battle.  I'm sure you are much younger than my DH & I are but believe me all the sacrifices & hard work you are doing now will PAY OFF.  We lived in the dark life of debt for so many years that I just thank God over & over that we finally could see the light & quit buying & borrowing so we cuold pay off our debt.  At this point in our lives I'm jealous of all of those with no mortgage debt...I hope to get there one day, hopefully sooner rather than later ; )

Have a good day!

cindylee

Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 12:17pm

I started here a couple years ago with $8,000 CC debt and now it is $14,000.  :smileysad:

What helps me is to remember that every car payment I make is a step towards lowering my debt.  Every loan payment, or what have you, lowers my debt. 

I am unclear what you mean by the house being assessed and putting you in more debt though.  My first thought was property taxes, but another $13K sounds crazy high for an increase in property taxes. 

Don't give up on your goals!  Just adjust them.  :smileyhappy:

When my medical insurance changed how they paid things, I had to give up on that total lowering any time soon.  Yes, it can be discouraging, but I have to accept it. 

Do you have a date when the cars will be paid off that you can look forward to? 

Hang in there...

Serenity
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 5:19pm

Dee,

I think you are being too hard on yourself.  $14,000 toward debt repayment is nothing to sneeze at.  

It sounds like you are doing just fine!

Keep it up!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:40pm
Dee -
You are doing great with that payoff!! You are in the building years, the years debts tend to rise with a growing family and you are making great progress.
This year has been hard for us with two kids in college, I made a job change and my salary is no longer consistent, so my debt payment has stalled a lot this year. I am just trying to keep more in our emergency fund and pay cash for things.
This is not a sprint, it is a marathon, and not even Chicago, but more like Boston with some pretty tough hills at times.
That said, I think that assessment SUCKS!! I am so glad we don't live in a community like that and I don't know how you deal with blind left punches like that!

-Marie
#Marie
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:32pm

It's a strata townhome and they have assessed $28K (due Nov1st) for a bunch of repairs. There was faulty main pipes put in when they built the place and we've had 5 or so go this year. I'm kind of confused tho because we were one of the lucky ones to get the flood and our repairs cost $10K (covered by insurance)...so if we have 80 units here why is costing us $1.2M to pre-emptively fix the problem before we have more floods?? Since when does fixing a problem before it breaks cost 50% more?

It is going to eat every penny of equity we've built in the place in one fell swoop. We've had 4 floods in the three years we've lived here...the main pipe, our dishwasher, our main water valve and a sewer line from a toilet. The previous owners used a wrong size washer on a DYI plumbing fix and we ended up with fungi growing in the basement!!!!!!!!!! (how do we know it was a DYI? well, he cut out the drywall behind it and just nailed on a piece of plain wood!)

Dee

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:42pm

I'm not American but I do think it is a HUGE sacrifice for families to represent their country overseas. I would hope that they are appreciated, respected and compensated for that. (hugs)

We can't afford childcare here - it would be $2000/month for our 2 children. So my DH works graveyards & night shifts. It's hard on us as we are best friends and don't have many other friends to fill that void his time away leaves. It's worse on him bc when he's not working, he is taking care of the children during the day by himself.

But still, it's nothing compared to your sacrifice! I'm glad that at LEAST it's helping you get your finances in a better place for when he's home.

Dee

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:53pm

Dee don't give up. Things will set you back in life. You have to think about if you didn't pay off all that money to start with. You are doing great. Keep at it. I had paid off a $35000 land and building loan for my store then discovered I needed a new roof to the tune of $23,000. You just keep at things and keep going. You can do this. You have the mental tools!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 8:38pm

I'm incredibly lucky in terms of childcare.

The lady I use charges a flat rate per day and it covers up to a certain time.  She's not outrageous either.  Some people here charge quite a bit for part time care and while they have your child they mostly sit on Facebook and don't really interact with the kids.  If I'm paying you $125 for about 15 hours you darn sure better be paying some attention.