10 weeks pp and attempting EPing. Need advice.

iVillage Member
10 weeks pp and attempting EPing. Need advice.
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 11:51pm

First I just want to say that I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders having found this message board. It had always felt like there were only two sides, breastfeeding or formula feeding and I was the only one trying to pump and bottle.

I have been pumping to some extent all along, but only exclusively for the past 3 weeks. My son was tongue tied at birth and after two frenulumplasties, he is still restricted and of course never learned how to latch properly. Essentially, he naws on my nipples.

Because I had a hard time BFing, I even saw a LC for a few weeks, my methods were never long lasting. Resorting to strictly pumping has been in a way, a life saver. I had tremendous guilt over not being able to BF, and even had some difficulties knowing I had to supplement with formula because my supply never was truly established and went up and down a little over the last few weeks.

I am trying to build up my supply with regular pumping to cut down on the amount of supplementing I have to do. I currently pump 4-5 times a day (yielding about 4-5oz per session). I have started taking Domperidone and am slowly noticing an increase. And just tonight I have started the oatmeal thing. My issue is having let down. I can go a 4 hour stretch between pumping without having a let down. Sometimes it happens when I bottle feed my son, sometimes when Im just tidying the house. Is this normal? I find if I have a let down I can pump more in the next session. How can I have more letdowns?

I also am wondering which has more of an impact on increasing supply: increasing the number of sessions in a day or increasing the amount of time of each session?

Also, I dont pump in the middle of the night. My son sleeps through the night most nights or wakes around 4am and I just bottle feed and put him back to bed. I've read about the middle of the night pump being essential for milk supply... does this session alone yield more milk or does it increase production for the day?

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:10am
Hello there! First off its key to pump at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. Because the more stimulated you're breast are the more they think baby needs. Also, the MOTN pump is key. It's when prolactin is at its highest, so you will usually see your best output. I am just about 13 week PP and constantly have spontaneous let downs, no matter what I'm doing. I'm not sure if it makes me have more milk or not since ive never tracked it but I can somewhat see where it makes sense. Also making sure you are staying fully hydrated and eating well are key. Other then that making sure you are using a good double electric pump will go a long way. Hope that helped!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers