Pacifiers

iVillage Member
Pacifiers
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 6:51am
Can't recall if we discussed this before, but I'd love to hear what you think about pacifiers. And what about all the different kinds??

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: txdela
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 5:37pm

i plan on using them. my first son, used one until he found his fingers. then it was his index finger &middle finger at the same time addiction lol.  second son, used a binkie till the day he turned 3 lol.

i just feel bad, its like babies have withdrawls like they are quitting cigarettes! lol thats the only way i can compare it.... they go crazy and get anxiety and the binkie makes them just exhale in relief... to each their own. i have no problem with them. my kids never had teeth problems from them either

iVillage Member
In reply to: bankerswife
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 5:59pm

Our hospital lactation consultant thought a pacifier would be ok after nursing, since Grayson was bfing and latching on so well.  It didn't work out.  He wants to nurse all day long so the pacifier was supposed to give me a little break. But now it's like he's forgotten how to nurse.  He tries to suck and work his tongue, and doesn't work his jaw enough to get milk out right.  This has been our hardest day/night because he's so hungry and tired and frustrated, and my boobs hurt all the way back to my armpits from the built up milk.  So pacifiers may work for some babies but it's been a disaster for us.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
In reply to: impurezion
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:31pm
wow good to know! i used pacifiers and didn't breast feed. this time around, i am going to nurse and bought the pacifiers that are similar to a real nipple, but i am now wary of it now hearing your experience bankerswife. i will use caution lol
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:43am
Thread hopping from November board! My DS used a pacifier and had ZERO issues nursing. He would easily go from breast to bottle, also. We ditched the paci late, but his teeth haven't suffered. We used MAM pacifiers. I will say that he didn't really take one until about 3-4 months consistently, though.
My DD wouldn't have anything to do with a pacifier or a bottle. EVER. We tired for better than six months because I was so tired and she was a miserable sleeper. No. Such. Luck. It was a long 18 months!
I think it is an individual thing for each baby. I have pacifiers for this baby. I hope we can use pacifiers and be successful breastfeeding. I'll probably work it about like I did with DS - we'll get breastfeeding established and we'll go from there.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 12:36pm
We'd been having similar issues, L. She def prefers being at the breast over a pacifier, so her confusion seems the other way around - she can't keep the darn thing in her mouth! Or doesn't want to? Lol. We have tried 3 different kinds. So far the Philips Avent one has worked out best. She uses it in the car seat or when she had to have medicine on her nails or wait a few minutes for her dinner. (She can get worked up fast!)

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: nvywf4lf
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 7:36pm

Jacob used gumdrop pacifiers and did great and at 12 months was done no problems....amanda is still to young for it i think...but nuk pacifiers work for her and no bfing problems.....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 1:31pm
With Peter, we offered but he couldn't keep any paci in his mouth due to his lip tie. It was only for daycare anyway, so we scrapped it quick.

This time, I'm perfectly happy not to offer. Addie is a super-fast nurser, so it's just about 20 minutes for a good feed, but we fight for awhile because of my letddown. She prefers to sit and just catch it in her mouth. Laziness.

Regardless, I would wait several weeks. They really can cause issues if breastfeeding isn't well established. OTOH, I know of ladies who used them when baby had a disorganized suck to help with tongue movement. I just personally don't like the idea of them. Until I have to go back to work, I don't want to offer a fake nipple when the real ones are available.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
In reply to: bankerswife
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 5:08pm

I gave in and offered the pacifier again.  This time it went a little better.  I'm trying to find a way to get Grayson not to be nursing literally 24/7.  He's gained a pound in a week and my back is killing me from poor posture while we nurse!  I'm letting him cry for an hour in between feeings when I know he's tired.  I rock him and bounce him and carry him in a carrier, I don't just put him down and ignore him, but I think the crying helps him get some energy out so he can sleep.  Then I nurse him, and if he's still fussy I offer the pacifier.  So far I've done it 3 times and he's fallen asleep well each time for a few hours.  On a side note - he loves my Moby wrap!  (Mine's homemade, but it's Moby style, anyway.)  It distributes his weight well and my back feels so much better when I carry him in it.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
In reply to: nvywf4lf
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:39am

the breast buddy or breast friend pillow helps posture! because it strps to you very secure...so you can sit up and your arms wont go numb and the angle keeps baby against your boobs. LOVE IT!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers