Early or absentee ballots?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Early or absentee ballots?
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 11:14am

I don't want to get into people's politics, but I'm wondering if anyone else is wondering about being able to get to the polls.  I really doubt I'll still be pregnant by the election.  I'm not sure I want to try to take a newborn to the polling location...so wondering about looking into a mailin ballot.  It may be too late already...I don't know.  I've never tried to look into them before.  I suppose I should ask my mom too, since she's planning to stay with us and will be hours from home. 

Anyone else giving this any thought?

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 12:37pm
DH and I will take turns voting in the car if necessary. I'd have your mom look into early voting, though!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:35pm

In my state you can sign up for permanent mail in ballots, so there is no need to worry about getting to the polls. I signed up for this years ago and it make voting much simpler, so you might want to see if your state does this too. Even if you get them you can still go to the polling place to vote on the day of the election, your mail in is just voided then.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 10:55am
I requested absentee ballots about 2-3 months ago. I got mine in the mail this past week. I think you still have time, but you should go on your Supervisor of Elections web site for your community and you should be able to request it online (if it's like our county) and they'll mail one out to you. If not, call their office and ask how to get one. I decided that even if the baby does come early, I don't want to stand in line on election day with a newborn. I would rather mail in or drive to the election office and drop it off. I will probably do the latter as I don't fully trust the U.S. mail with sensitive stuff like that.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 10:56am
The other advantage of absentee ballots is that you have time do to research from home if there are any issues or people that you are not sure of on the ballot.
Lilypie Maternity tickers