Sigh..another adventure with Jack and Taz

iVillage Member
Sigh..another adventure with Jack and Taz
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:47pm

Something weird happened last night. We went to bed as usual. About an hour in bed I heard Taz barking in the basement. Normally we don't hear the dogs barking so I went downstairs to investigate. I didn't see anything in the basement  like a mouse that would cause Taz to bark so I took them outside. Taz peed and she conitnued to bark at the air LOL! I figured she had heard the wind (we had rain last night) and perhaps some dogs barking in the distance. I found it odd because she never barks when we put them to bed. 

So, we came back in (this was about 1:30) and as I getting them to go back to bed Jack refused to get into the pen and in his bed. Refused - I mean I tried to pick him up to put him in his bed and he snapped at me. He seemed nervous or agitated. I didn't know what to do seeing as I was sleepy and tired. So I left them in the den and as I went back upstairs to bed they followed me to the bedroom. DH was sound asleep so I let them sleep on the loveseat in the bedroom. Never has they happened before as long as we have had Jack and Taz. I still don't know why Jack refused to get in his bed in the basement. The only thing I can thing of is that Taz disturbed him with her shrill barking and he was annoyed.  So strange, but then Jack IS strange and quirky.

Community Leader
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 2:23pm

I just hate it when my dogs hae "odd" behavior.  The lst time that happened with Cleo was when we had the flying squirrel in the house.

A few months ago she was starting at one of the corners in the breakfast nook but I didn't see anything....the most it could have been was a mouse.....so I wasn't too worried.

Yes...it is unsettling when you know there's something going on but you can't exactly figure out what it is.

Laura
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 6:11pm

Minor earthquake you didn't feel?

Fire somewhere they could smell but you couldn't?

Strange.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 2:38pm
hmmm I'm thinking it was/is something in his bed.... like a spider or something... so he didn't want to get back in. As for the barking, they just hear things in the distance that we don't or they can feel if a fox or something is wandering around the yard, and heaven knows you have a lot of acreage. Maybe a branch rubbing against the house...

hope they sleep better tonight.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:05pm

It's very puzzling - even for Jack.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:08pm

No - nothing like that at all. I tend to think he was mad at Taz with her incessant barking.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:10pm

I wish they could talk so I knew what the heck was going on - LOL

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:29pm

Nope - it wasn't a spider or bug. I inspected their bedding. Besides that wouldn't bother Jack. He would torture or eat a spider LOL

This is the first time this has ever happened but my guess is that Taz heard dogs barking.and got rattled. Then Jack got upset with her barking. Just a guess. They did sleep well last night and good thing because I told dh I don't want them to get in the habit of sleeping in our bedroom.