cloth diapering

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
cloth diapering
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 4:53pm

Hi Ladies!

I am not a TOK mom (hopefully someday though!) but I do have a question that I think your group would be best able to help me with. I have 2 very young children. My son just turned 2 in August and I have a 5 month olddaughter. My DH works and I am a SAHM. We try to be very money conscious but with costs of everything going up, we are definitely feeling the pinch. I want to start cloth diapering because 2 kids worth of diapers, even the walmart brand we use, isnt that cheap. My question is, how do I go about this, what is a good place to get them, how many do I need, etc. I am a COMPLETE newbie, so absolutely any help you can give me is a step forward for me. LOL

Thanks so much in advance!

Autumn

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:52am
Oh, cloth diapering is fun! I didn't CD at all until youngest DD came along. The upfront cost is going to be big, so be prepared for that. There are so many ways you can go with cloth, so I would suggest you buy a sampler and then decide what works best for you and your kids. I don't know what's "popular" anymore because my youngest is 4, but Blueberries, BumGenius, and Swaddlebees were my favorites. I also really liked to use bamboo prefolds with a Thirsties cover. Prefolds will absorb the liquid, the covers are waterproof so they prevent leaks. The all-in-one diapers (Blueberries, BG, Swadlebees) are the diaper and cover all in one diaper. Diaperswappers.com is a really good resource, and they do allow members to post sale/trades offers. It was a great way to try new CDs without paying a lot of money.

You would also need a pail for the diapers. I used a plastic garbage can with a lid and a WAHMIES waterproof liner (wahmies.com). For leaving the house, I would take a smaller WAHMIES bag in case I needed to do a change. Later on, I actually just used disposables when we were traveling. Some people don't mind traveling with CDs, but I just didn't like it, so we did disposables then.

Something nice to have but not necessary is a sprayer. We had one that connected to the toilet tank, and I would use it to spray the soiled diaper out, flush it, and then it would be ready for washing.

You need to be careful with your detergent, too. Cloth diapers can't be washed in just any old detergent because a lot of the additives can affect the absorption or leave a film on it. You can't use fabric softener either. I think diaperswappers has an article about which detergents are OK.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes!