Happy Thanksgiving!

iVillage Member
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:41pm

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada & so I am wishing everyone a happy weekend even if you aren't eating turkey. We are having a quiet weekend as our kids are working & won't be joining us. My youngest & his fiancee might be up Wed/Thurs but they are waiting on their final schedules.

This weekend also means the end of cottage season for many & so it's time to get the boat out of the water then close up the cottage. It's great that we get to stay now at the "cottage" all year. We will take our boats out next week so that my DH can winterize them before it gets too cold to work outside. We will also put away the outside furniture & shut up the sunroom until next Spring.

The leaves are beautiful here & we had a great time today out on a local boat cruise. There were 50 of us enjoying the scenery & a lovely buffet lunch. Really made us realize that summer is over, fall is here & that winter is just a short time away.

Dee

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:49pm

We've decided to go with a small propane heater for emergencies. Apparently it's against the law here to try to use one for the "only" hear source in a dwelling. We considered going with a larger one, but the dealer said it would run about a thousand dollars!! Plus they have to inspect the place...pull permits...blah, blah, blah. No thanks.LOL

Sharon

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:29pm
We had a heat pump put in last year. I'm not convinced that it is saving anything with the higher electricity use than just using the propane furnance but DH is convinced it's better for the environment. We have an infrared heater as our great room is rather large with high ceilings. It does seem to work for us.

Dee
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:56am

We tried one of those when they first came out but ended up trading it for a second generator.LOL It was ok, but it didn't save electricity as promised and unless you sat right in front of it the heat didn't reach very far. Maybe we just got a lemon? We don't mind the kerosene heat. If the power goes off, we have the consant heat and don't have to be concerned about the temp dropping while we're firing up one of the generators for the other appliances.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:41am
What about using an infrared heater. We got my mother one last year for Christmas. They don't get hot to the touch but they heat up 1000+ sq ft and don't take much electricity either. She has a fireplace that she uses in the day time but doesn't like to leave a fire burning during the night as the fireplace is downstairs and he bedroom is upstairs.

Judy

-Judy

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:28am

I love this time of year! One of the drawbacks though is heating this place. We use only kerosene and right now it's up to $4.19 a gallon! Friday we're going to look at options in the way of propane heaters. Still wish I had a fireplace. :smileysad:

Sharon

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:10am
We were to have gotten down to freezing last night but looks like my annuals are still holding up so maybe not. They are calling for temps in the low 50s this week which is a drop from the low 70s last week. I too don't like the fall rain/drizzle.

The leaves though were lovely yesterday as we drove back to the city for Thanksgiving dinner with youngest DS & his future inlaws. Turns out the kids can't come up this week due to work schedules so it was nice to have dinner with them.

Dee
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 3:58pm

UGH...the drizzle is so cold. But, it makes my pumpkins on the front porch look more like they should be there.LOL Doesn't seem right to have heat and blaring sun blasting them.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 3:21pm
We have a freeze warning for tonight. I'm glad DH got the lawn mowed yesterday afternoon. I am like you, I hate that drizzle rain more than anything almost!

Judy

-Judy

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 2:53pm

We didn't even manage to reach 50 today and will be in the 30's tonight.BRRRR.LOL It's not going to last, but oh my. What a shock to the system. On top of that, it's done nothing but drizzle rain most of the day.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 1:23pm

Fall is definately in the air here.  We went from mid to upper 70's last week to a high today of 57.  The leaves are beginning to change and are beautiful so far.  The two youngest grands stayed the weekend with us and they got to play with the two young neighbors next door.  I had fun just sitting on my porch watching them on a clear, crisp Sunday afternoon.  I love fall!

Judy

-Judy

Pages