Happy Thanksgiving!

iVillage Member
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:41pm

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada & so I am wishing everyone a happy weekend even if you aren't eating turkey. We are having a quiet weekend as our kids are working & won't be joining us. My youngest & his fiancee might be up Wed/Thurs but they are waiting on their final schedules.

This weekend also means the end of cottage season for many & so it's time to get the boat out of the water then close up the cottage. It's great that we get to stay now at the "cottage" all year. We will take our boats out next week so that my DH can winterize them before it gets too cold to work outside. We will also put away the outside furniture & shut up the sunroom until next Spring.

The leaves are beautiful here & we had a great time today out on a local boat cruise. There were 50 of us enjoying the scenery & a lovely buffet lunch. Really made us realize that summer is over, fall is here & that winter is just a short time away.

Dee

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:56am

We tried one of those when they first came out but ended up trading it for a second generator.LOL It was ok, but it didn't save electricity as promised and unless you sat right in front of it the heat didn't reach very far. Maybe we just got a lemon? We don't mind the kerosene heat. If the power goes off, we have the consant heat and don't have to be concerned about the temp dropping while we're firing up one of the generators for the other appliances.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:29pm
We had a heat pump put in last year. I'm not convinced that it is saving anything with the higher electricity use than just using the propane furnance but DH is convinced it's better for the environment. We have an infrared heater as our great room is rather large with high ceilings. It does seem to work for us.

Dee
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:49pm

We've decided to go with a small propane heater for emergencies. Apparently it's against the law here to try to use one for the "only" hear source in a dwelling. We considered going with a larger one, but the dealer said it would run about a thousand dollars!! Plus they have to inspect the place...pull permits...blah, blah, blah. No thanks.LOL

Sharon

Pages