New twin mama starting to EP

iVillage Member
New twin mama starting to EP
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:54pm

Hello! :heart:

I am a new first time mama ready to get EP. My twin identical boys were born on September 27, 2012. They are the most beautiful precious gift that I have ever gotten. I just love them to pieces and want to do the very best things that I possibly can. It is crazy how much love you feel when you set your eyes on your baby for the first time and I was blessed enough to be able to do it twice in one day! 

I took a breastfeeding class which I learned so much and really made me confident in being able to breastfeed for my boys. I knew that it was so important for them and that the benifits for me aren't something to ignore. The first attempt with my boys was directly after our delivery. Things were rather difficult with two and I really wanted to get the skin to skin contact. Needless to say it went but only with the help of my husband and a nurse because I was exhausted after pushing for nearly 3 hours. The next day I was determined to be the best breastfeeder around. However my nurse had different plans and completely discouraged me from breastfeeding any pushed me to use formula. After crying for an hour straight alone with my husband past out and me over tired from not sleeping for a day and a half I caved. 

Fastforward to my wonderful 1 week old babies. Things have been great. Baby B loves to breastfeed with his mom and is doing things extremely textbook. However Baby A, the smaller of the two twins, is having trouble with the intire process. At their first appointment the doctor mentioned that it was normal to lose weight but by 2 weeks they should be back up to their birth weight. I also found out this week that I have mastitis which is also assisting in my extreme pain when attempting to breastfeed Baby A. However when I would pump I was finding that I was able to get milk out and my boys were just as happy with bottle feeds. To be honest my husband and I were more comfortable because we were able to measure that our babies were recieving things that they needed.

Tired and out of options I found this group just in time. Feeling much better about things and reading through everyones advise and stories, I have decided that EP is what is going to be best for my boys and I. While I know that things might be difficult at first I look forward to meeting the needs of my new loves. Thank you in advance for all your support and knowledge and I look forward to finding some success in this new world!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:33pm

EPing is a lot of hard work, but the rewards at the end of the day are worth it. If your husband supports it, even better!.

Congrats on your twins, and don't get discouraged when things get tough. Just think like I did "One more day, One more day" and before you know it you will reach your goal!

Congrats!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:08pm

I am pumping after the boys feed but I have been doing bottle feedings because I was having trouble with latching. By the time I could get one baby settled and eating the wheels were falling off with the other baby. I became so stressed i was dreading feedings. At this point I am pumping and feeding it to them in a bottle. Cross your fingers.