what are you reading october 7 - october 13?

iVillage Member
what are you reading october 7 - october 13?
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:57am

another week has come and gone, so what's up for you this week?

do you have a reading comfort zone?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:34pm

I am reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. It's very good so far.

My zone is in the basement area when its quiet.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:02am

Just returned to one I started awhile ago and abandoned for a time: Up For Renewal: What Magazines Taught Me About Love, Sex, and Starting Over, a memoir by Cathy Alter.

My comfort zone is my big comfy couch in the living room!

Bev

girl in chair
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:04am

i'm reading two books right now. the first is captive by timothy allen smith and the other is a fool's gold Christmas by susan mallery.

mine is the recliner in the bedroom, far away from the tv and dh's westerns. lol

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:09pm

I'm still reading A Spoonful of Murder by Connie Archer and Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones. I did the turkey and trimmings for Thanksgiving yesterday so I haven't had much reading time.

I like to read in bed and in the summer, I love to read on the balcony.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 1:09pm

Wow, Kathie, I'm impressed! You sure do have a head start on the holiday!

Bev

girl in chair
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:00pm

Just finished up my first Sookie Stackhouse book: Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris.  It was good, but I won't be running to the library to find the next one in the series right away.  Perhaps when I get in a rut and want something a little different.  Vampires are just not my thing, though I will say I didn't mind it mixed in with the mystery and the romance part of it wasn't as bad as the Twilight books.  I can understand why people like these books.  I'm sure they have the same feelings about them as I do about a good ghost story or story involving witches.  You just have to be into them.  The Sookie Stackhouse series certainly makes appropriate reading for the Halloween season.  They will be added to my Halloween reading list for sure.

What to read next?  I'm not sure.  Something more to celebrate Halloween, though.

My favorite reading place for years has been my overstuffed chair and ottoman in the living room.  It also overlooks the picture window out onto our front yard and the bird feeding station.  The view continues across the road over the farmfield to the tree line along the creek, which by this time of the year is usually just an explosion of color.  This year there are some bright yellows, but most of the other colors are just varying shades of brown.  The heat of this summer really stressed out all the plants around here.  The creek even went dry, which I had never seen it do before.  There is water in it right now, but not much.

Well, anyway.  that's where you find me when I'm reading most of the time, with my two cats (one on the arm of the chair and one on the ottoman against my legs) and a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate in the winter or a glass of iced tea in the summer.  Spring and fall is a coin toss as far as beverage goes.

I'll let you know what book I pick up next after I've decided.

Happy Reading!

Bev

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:51pm

Bev,

I'd like to take the credit for being ahead with the holidays but it actually is the Canadian Thanksgiving today. Growing up I always wanted to celebrate the American Thanksgiving because some years I would have been lucky enough for my birthday to fall during the holiday weekend Our Thanksgiving is more of a celebration of the harvest and it started about 40 years before the pilgrims landed at Plymoth Rock.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:47am

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I am still reading the Harry Potter books.  My son and I started on them last summer and I am only on book 4 (Goblet of Fire).  I quit reading over the summer so I have picked it back up to finish it THIS WEEK. 

Though I will start on the 5th one when I close this one for good but I have so many other books that I will probably read two this time around.

My cozy place is where ever I can find peace and not be bothered.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:14pm

Just wanted to get on here for a minute before I go take a quick shower.

Yesterday I read a short story  called Cain's Apples by Bryan Lee.  It was a Twilight Zone type of story about a roadside fruit stand.  It was only 27 pages long, but an excellent read.  It was one of the free selections I got for my Nook.  I started a few books yesterday, but none of them seemed like what I was looking for, but I hit the jackpot this morning.  I am now reading Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase.  It is so good!  I have just found out it is the first book in the author's Jade Calhoun Series and I am already contemplating on purchasing the next two of the series when I'm done.  I'm already on chapter 7 and I've had to tear myself away to get to today's business.  I really just want to go sit back down and finish reading this book.  Jade is an empath which means she can feel the emotions of both the living and the dead.  Moving to New Orleans means she is kind of going at hyperspeed in what she's feeling.  She knows how to put up walls between her mind and her gift/curse, but New Orleans is much, much busier than her home in Idaho.  On top of that, her aunt, who raised her , is also losing sleep back in Idaho.  Turns out she's a psychic and is used to being tuned in to Jade, so she knows all the turmoil that's in Jade's life presently.  Needless to say, a ghost in Jade's apartment is adding to that turmoil.  Personally, I am thinking the ghost fell in love with Jade at first sight and is angry with her choice of new friends.  I think he's afraid they will lead her down the wrong path and she will lose the innocence he feels surrounding her.  He is acting out his fear and anger with his ghostly abilities and is positively freaking everyone out.  I can only read on to see if I'm right.  So far lots of romantic thoughts and inclinations, but no love scenes.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Happy Reading!

Bev

P.S.  I forgot to tell you about the sign I bought and placed on the shelf near my reading chair.  It states:  "I wish people would stop disturbing my day with work."  Chris laughed right out loud in the store when I showed it to him.  He agreed I had to bring that one home as it fit me to a tee.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 1:40pm

Today I have started The Weight Of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf and will also continue with the Harry Potter series.

Pages