Starting eping need advice

iVillage Member
Starting eping need advice
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 8:35am
Hey all. My LO is 9 weeks old and we exclusively breastfed to 7 weeks but had little success on her part so I started eping. I'm pumping 8 times a day and so far I'm ahead of her on ounces. I'm curious when I can drop pumps without losing supply? And how to drop pumps? Like one at a time for how many weeks? If I do see drop in supply any luck rebuilding?
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:51pm

Technically your supply is established around week 12, so dropping pumps before then is not encouraged since you might lose supply. I dropped too many pumps when my son was 1 month old and my supply suffered really bad. It took me over a month and a half to be able to get somewhere close to where I was before I dropped pumps. So I would wait after week 12 to start dropping pumps. The ideal is to start by dropping a pump and waiting about a week or two to see if any changes in your supply happen. Also know that the time you are dropping needs to be added to the other pumps you do throughout the day, so if you cut a 15 minute pump a day, make sure to add those minutes to your other pumps, say if you pump for 15 minutes, now you have to pump for 20 or more on your next pumps. If your supply suffers your best option is to either add that pump back, do power pumping or take a supplement like fenugreek. Eating oatmeal helps increase milk supply as well. Hope this helps.