Scared- Low hemoglobin level

iVillage Member
Scared- Low hemoglobin level
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 1:28pm

Hi Everyone,

My mom received a letter stating that her blood count was lower than it was 6 months ago.   not critically low, but I am scared to death. she had a negative fecal occult test.   Mom is in her late 70's.  The doc keeps pushing her to have  a Colonoscopy.   Please keep me in your prayers.  I am her only child, so I have to be strong.  Everything else in her blood work is GOOD.   Has anyone gone through this either themselves or with a loved one.  I would love to read your stores.

Thank you,

VERACOSA

Administrator
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:06am

Hi and welcome. Is she going to have the colonoscopy?

My father had problems with low hemoglobin and his turned out to be nutrition related. You may want to make sure your mother is eating properly especially if she lives alone. 

Please keep us posted on what happens with your mother. {{hugs}}

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 3:04pm

Hi Karla,

She's hesitant to have the Colonoscopy,  but she will follow up with the doctor to see what the next step should be.  Thanks for your concern and I will keep you posted.  {{{hugs}}} to you too!

Thanks again!

This is why I LOVE ivillage!:smileyhappy:

Administrator
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:26am

I've never had a colonoscopy so I completely understand her reservations about it. I'm sure her doctor will be able to reassure her and help her get through the procedure. :-)

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 7:41pm

Hi Karla,

Mom is eating even more green leafy vegetables and other healthy foods.  She is also taking a multivitamin.  Otherwise, she's doing ok.  

Thanks for your help!  Will keep you posted.