Workouts week of October 7

iVillage Member
Workouts week of October 7
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 4:41pm
I am struggling with 'how much is enough?'. In my day to day life, I walk for at least an hour every day..to work, the gym, and home. Sometimes I come home from work before the gym which adds a little more walking. My walk home from the gym is 400 steps up a steep hill. I often walk for an hour or more on weekend days just to do errands. I do not count Walking as cardio. I count my bike time...it averages a total of 30 Minutes in a week, but can be just one or two minutes on one day, 20 on another. I run most weeks. I like to swim, but I don't do it enough. I go to Zumba, but again, not often enough. I lift reliably three times a week. I lift heavy, and across the three days, I hit all muscle groups. I often take a 45 minutes Pilates class once a week. I do abs every time I work out - either a machine circuit or floor abs. Not on Pilates days, that is all abs. but if we don't do the leg series, I stay and do it myself after class. If I increase the cardio much, my hips do not like me...but if I pass on cardio sessions, I feel disappointed in myself. I have done the Stairmaster but not for a while. I haven't tried the elliptical...the machines are in an isolated but public part of the gym, and somehow that doesn't appeal to me. I want to shakeup my routine, but I am not sure how...and in reality, I am five weeks from going to Poland, and during that time I will be there for a week and I am taking a week's vacation. And in two of the other weeks, I have to travel one day each week for work....uuuughhhhh....so this week I am going to try this...sunday - floor abs in front of the tv, Monday -5 minutes Stairmaster, then bike until lifting time...lifting for chest, back, abs, run 2 miles. Tuesday - bike 15 minutes, lifting for legs, abs. Wednesday -traveling. Maybe abs wherever i can....Thursday - 5 minutes stairs, bike until lifting time, lifting for shoulders, bis, tris, swim 60laps. Friday - run 3 miles, abs Saturday -Zumba ...then traveling to Poland Saturday night....
Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:22am

How much is enough is a good question.  In the National Weight Loss Registry (people who've lost 50 lbs, I think, and kept it off for over 5 years), the average person worked out 60-90 minutes EVERY day to maintain weight loss.  It's a total commitment.  I'm so impressed w/ what you do. I find I need an hour a day at least to feel good. Rest day is important but that doesn't mean lying on the couch rest. Active rest is good and that would be Zumba-like for me.  But, as I get older, I think two active rest days are good.  And, take it easy when you're sick which is one I struggle with.

Sun: Kickboxing

Mon: Insanity class/abs class (15 mins)

Tues: trying ballet barre class

Wed: might run 

Thurs: step/conditioning/jazz triple combo

Fri: might be rest day since I'm working a lot

Sat: teaching boot camp, parkours

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:15am
That depends on the person. I think I look like a couch potato compared to you. :smileysurprised:. I have prioritized other things in my life. I am having a hard time coming up with a weekly plan... Sunday...yoga Monday...nil Tuesday...either yoga or pup training Wednesday...Pilates or Linedancing Thursday...kickboxing or spin Friday...spin and/or ballroom dancing, travel Saturday...yoga? Spin? Sunday...? Travel?
Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 4:32pm

FWIW, the elliptical is much gentler on the hips than the stairmaster which works our overworked hip flexors even more.  Have you tried foam rolling the hip flexor? It might help.  On the elliptical, you want to work on the hip extension, the push back part of it.  I know what you mean about liking more privacy but first, I don't think many people would notice you and second, those who do would probably be impressed with how hard you're working on it and be inspired. Nothing pushes me more than seeing someone sweat.  And, I agree w/ fsn that compared to you, most people, even ones I see in the gym, are like couch potatoes!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:17pm
I did tell my trainer I am bored, and he immediately said we can switch things up...although it is not really the lifting I am bored with....there is TRX and kettle bells at the gym, but I would not give up the lifting I do to do those. I wish that the Zumba and Pilates c lasses were better...the issue with lifting is that it is three nights a week, and the gym classes are somewhat limited - I want there to be an awesome class any Friday night I want to go, or Saturday morning...and in reality, because of the nature of the gym, there are very few options then...the variety of classes is actually pretty low...if all I did was classes, I might be able to make them work better. The. Pilates class on Wednesday is a very beginner class, and is only 45 minutes. I modify some things to make them harder - full pushups instead of on the knees, and legs extended instead of at 90 degrees on some things...originally, the class was on Friday for an hour, and we always went 15 minutes over to stretch...now it is 45 and done. All the classes are 45 minutes which I think is just not enough...my elliptical issue is not that it is public, all of the areas are public...I think it is in an area where not much interesting is happening...the bikes are in an area that overlooks an area where there is all kind of action...and the treadmills are where people walk by and say encouraging things..the elipticals are near the entrance - I don't know why that bugs me, but it does. I think I am just in limbo waiting to go to Poland and so not committed to anything. I definitely hit the 60 to 90 minutes most days if I count walking...some days even if I don't...I expect to be doing a lot of whining until I get beyond my travels and settle back in at home....
Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:50pm

You do a good variety of exercises. Your trainer could incorporate something different into what you're doing--eg. start w/ trx back rows and then right into another back exercise like regular rows.  It's a good way to play around.  Even if you're not doing the same exercise, you wil also find that by doing different exercises, that muscle group gets stronger and when you come back to the exercise again, you can lift even heavier.  I have a client who was great at the ab roller when I took her on but I don't use that very often. After 2-3 months, I pulled it out and she was surprised that she could do more than she had before, even though she hadn't done it in so long.  

What I'm finding in gyms lately is less variety in classes. And, even if the name is different, the class is essentially the same. I miss the days when you could do kickboxing, step, hi/lo, etc.  These days, we get prechoreographed stuff, zumba, boot camp, spinning and some lifting, mind/body.  It's a good variety but no where near what it used to be. I wonder if instructors just got burned out trying to do it all.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:24pm
Where I see the big strength improvement is in my swimming - which is really my 'base' exercise - what I would do if I could only do one thing...if I don't lift for a week, I feel it the next time I lift..but if I lift andi don't swim for a couple weeks, the swimming feels so great...it just gets stronger...it is odd...I can run a little further a little faster but it doesn't get easier...swimming is always a joy...but i frequently bail on my plans to swim....when I started working out, my goal was three times a week..lift one, swim once, bike once...I built up to where I am, and I want to work out more...I have vacation time I need to take before the end of the year, and it is too much to take when I am in Poland...I looked into Canyon Ranch...but it is way too much money for me to spend right now...plus I have to say that what I expect to miss the most while in Poland is my trainer and the gym, so I don't really want to go away for a week. So my plan is to take the last week in October off, and to lift every day, swim every day, take a class every day...and then do stuff like a massage, a facial, and a mani/pedi...plus to cook and eat the food that is n my freezer...like my own version of Canyon Ranch, without leaving home...I am excited about this idea, And when I am in Poland next week, I am going to look for a gym, and see what the class situation is...maybe even join because I will be there in November...I am excited by this idea too...Pilates and Zumba in Polish will be a challenge....
Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:56am

Swimming is a great workout. My new gym will be building (not the right word, is it, for making a pool) in its second phase.  

I would love to try Canyon Ranch.  Have you thought of Deerfield Spa? It's along that idea w/ working out and healthy foods but much lower key, more bed and breakfast-y.  It's a driveable distance for you. I've heard it's nice when you can hike outside.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52558-d223092-Reviews-Deerfield_Spa-East_Stroudsburg_Pocono_Mountains_Region_Pennsylvania.html

http://www.deerfieldspa.com/

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 12:18pm
Well, of course I got the lifting in...and the stairs...and Zumba. My total bike time for the week was only if teen minutes, and I did nothing, not even floor abs on zsunday..but I swam three times last week and I'd abs on Saturday...so I think I am actually ahead of my goals for the week...
Community Leader
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 11:39am

Ow, I haven't worked out that hard, or didn't feel like it but I'm really sore today!  LOL, a client asked me if I was taking it easy on him for a move and I said I'm so sore that it felt like it was hard.  After having taught that core extreme class in the past, my abs just can't compare and I really want to get back to that fitness level.  Silks two days in a row, after a two week break, is hard.

Sun: kickboxing

Mon: Insanity types class

Tues: Ballet barre class

Wed: run/walk

Thurs: taught step, taught conditioning, took jazz

Fri: break (ha, I first typed "breakfast" instead of break.My fingers know what my mind is subconsciously wanting)

Sat: taught bootcamp, took aerial silks

Sun: ran 5 miles, did aerial silks