No-Kids Zone on Airplanes:Good or Bad?

iVillage Member
No-Kids Zone on Airplanes:Good or Bad?
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 4:49pm
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 3:03pm
Great idea for those of us who do not travel with kids!! I don't like flying to begin with, so uncomfortable, and if there's a noisy child on board, that makes it worse. I don't know how they can shut off the noise in a no kids zone though.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:48am
twig04 wrote:

Now on to the rest of your reply... wow , you have to pay extra to book a seat? I haven#t had to do that yet.... we buy a ticket which entitles us to (1 bag per person @ 23 kg and one carry on @8 kg) . The day before we can check in online and choose our seat and I've always gotten the seat that I booked.
It's getting harder to want to fly anywhere with all the hidden costs , one has to be soooo overy careful when booking flights these days.

Not on every airline, but on a lot of the smaller domestic ones like Allegiant and Sprit but some of the larger airlines are doing similar things one routes where they compete with thse smaller airlines.... See this news report: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/05/22/forced-to-fly-solo-even-on-family-vacations/

One news report I saw said that some people, even having paid teh extra fee, found that when they got to the gate, they didn't have it any more...  Needless to say, passengers are somewhat outraged at one more fee!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:26am
I agree with you on this topic. I can deal with the crying but can not tolerate kids kicking the back of my seat... or hanging over the back of their looking at me the whole trip,,, dropping things over the back of their seat... etc. The kids parents are the villian not the kids. LOL

Now on to the rest of your reply... wow , you have to pay extra to book a seat? I haven#t had to do that yet.... we buy a ticket which entitles us to (1 bag per person @ 23 kg and one carry on @8 kg) . The day before we can check in online and choose our seat and I've always gotten the seat that I booked.
It's getting harder to want to fly anywhere with all the hidden costs , one has to be soooo overy careful when booking flights these days.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:33pm

I have confilicintg thoughts here...

I can handle crying babies --- that's to be expected and besides, in most airplane (which aren't double deckers --- I mean they only fly international routes as it is), it's a lot like no smoking "zones" --- you can't escape the sound (or the smoke) anywhere on the plane so 12 rows isn't much protection... Children's voices tend to be high pitched and a scream from a little kid CARRIES, KWIM?  

And of course, you know they will charge you more.

Many is the time I have had to sit in a seat with a child behind me, kicking it regularly., the parents doing absolutely NOTHING! And then there are the children running up and down the aisle, often covered with chocolate (that day I had to travel in business dress because we were having a meeting RIGHT after landing, and my cream suit was chocolate stained by one of the "little dears"... Did the mother offer to pay for a dry cleanaer? No...

And these days, even with paying in advance for a specific seat but more often than not, not getting that seat when boarding... can we trust the airline to actually let someone who has paid a premium for a quiet zone to actually sit in one, let alone let parents actually sit in thier reserved seats with their children upon boarding?

And suppose they don't "sell out" the quiet zone... will it be an upgrade available to the peons who couldn't get those seats when booking, or will families with children be seated in the empties? After all, most airlines are trying their best to fly full and many are overbooking already, resulting in thoe itritating offers pre-boarding to delay your flight and get a few $$$ in compensation (to heck with your connections, of course)...

Lovely idea which simply will not work, IMO...