Question about egg safety?

iVillage Member
Question about egg safety?
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:52pm

So I am aware that obvisouly while pregnant one must take extra care to ensure their eggs are 100% fully cooked and not raw, to avoid the risk of salmonella. I have also read though that over-easy isn't safe because the yolk is runny. Well this is literally the only way I like my eggs, so I can dip my toast. I hate eggs where the yolk is hard. I ve had over easy twice now since being pregnant. So far so good. Is it really that risky? Should I really cook them until the yolk is hard (and IMO grosse lol) ? I mean, I love eggs and have eaten them since I was a child. Not once have I ever gotten the least bit sick from them. I know when pregnant, your immune system is lower, so your at higher risk for like everything, but what are the chances that while pregnant I will eat a bad egg? Haven't yet in 24 years. I want to keep eating eggs since I love them and they are good for you, especially during pregnancy, but aside from over-easy I only like scrambled and omlette. Unfortunately the only kind I know how to cook is over-easy lol luckily my bf is a chef and can cook me any egg under the sun, but he isn't always around lol

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:39pm

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. But to be sure, I would definitely ask your doctor. You just never know. I have a cousin that got E.coli during pregnancy from undercooked beef.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:37am

Over easy is probably my favorite way to eat eggs as well but I have steered clear during the pregnancy.  My go to type is scrambled for now.  We all had scrambled egg and cheese on english muffins for breakfast yestereday....yum

BabyName Ticker