Question about egg safety?

iVillage Member
Question about egg safety?
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 5:52pm

So I am aware that obvisouly while pregnant one must take extra care to ensure their eggs are 100% fully cooked and not raw, to avoid the risk of salmonella. I have also read though that over-easy isn't safe because the yolk is runny. Well this is literally the only way I like my eggs, so I can dip my toast. I hate eggs where the yolk is hard. I ve had over easy twice now since being pregnant. So far so good. Is it really that risky? Should I really cook them until the yolk is hard (and IMO grosse lol) ? I mean, I love eggs and have eaten them since I was a child. Not once have I ever gotten the least bit sick from them. I know when pregnant, your immune system is lower, so your at higher risk for like everything, but what are the chances that while pregnant I will eat a bad egg? Haven't yet in 24 years. I want to keep eating eggs since I love them and they are good for you, especially during pregnancy, but aside from over-easy I only like scrambled and omlette. Unfortunately the only kind I know how to cook is over-easy lol luckily my bf is a chef and can cook me any egg under the sun, but he isn't always around lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:37am

Over easy is probably my favorite way to eat eggs as well but I have steered clear during the pregnancy.  My go to type is scrambled for now.  We all had scrambled egg and cheese on english muffins for breakfast yestereday....yum

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 6:39pm

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. But to be sure, I would definitely ask your doctor. You just never know. I have a cousin that got E.coli during pregnancy from undercooked beef.