Readers' corner

Community Leader
Readers' corner
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:34pm

We've done a thread for our favourite kids' books, but one thing we haven't talked about here is our own favourite books, so I thought we could start up our own book club type thread.  With that in mind and without further ado:

Which book (or books) do you think everyone should read?
Which book do you find yourself picking up over and over?
What's your latest read?
Guilty pleasure?

Feel free to ask more questions -- this is a discussion thread, not just a read-and-reply!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 1:24am

Dickens is usually quite bleak, so I avoid him. ;) I do like A Christmas Carol, though. (Best TV/movie versions are the Muppets and Mickey, hee hee.)

I'm reading a Biblical study book and I'll pick up a library book tomorrow (January book-of-the-month at the Christian Bookshelf board). Also want to get to the second Ranger's Apprentice novel soon (teen fantasy).

Community Leader
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 1:55pm

Anyone read anything good lately?  I know it's tough trying to fit in quality book time around quality family time.

All I've read in the last while is my psychology textbook.  I'm taking two psych courses online this semester and I'm trying to stay on top of things.  Nanny bought me A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens for Christmas, so I'd really like to read that.  I haven't read any Dickens before.

Community Leader
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 5:00pm

Mmm, I liked both Persuasion and Northanger Abbey.

I just finished a book called The Olive Grove, about a Palestinian Arab family during the first world war through to the beginning of the Palestinian conflict.  It was a very good book: well-written and very absorbing.  It was a little tough to read because I am both idealistic and sensitive, so reading about something as emotionally charged as the Palestinian conflict was difficult.  I also found the end to be a little unsatisfying.  I don't expect every ending to be happy or conclusive, but it just felt a little empty, you know?  Anyway, I would definitely recommend it as a good read.

Once I finish off the latest Tamora Pierce book I'm going to finish Mansfield Park, I swear.  What are you girls reading right now?

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 1:16am
I forgot all about the Potter books when answering, tsk tsk. Love to re-read those, and I'm looking forward to reading them to my boys when we think they're ready for non-picture books. ;) Wow, I want to live in your library for a bit so I can read the TOS books. Love those!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 1:13am
I don't remember if I've read Swiss Family Robinson. Definitely saw a Disney movie of it, with the kid from Old Yeller... I like Pride & Prejudice, but my two faves of the Austen novels are Persuasion (love second chances at romance) and Northanger Abbey (so witty!). Mansfield Park is definitely harder to like since Fanny isn't a modern woman, almost a doormat, poor girl!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 1:10am

Which book (or books) do you think everyone should read? All of Jane Austen's novels! ;) The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis), The Messenger (Lois Lowry) and The Blue Castle (L.M. Montgomery).

Which book do you find yourself picking up over and over? Besides the Bible ;) it would be The Ordinary Princess (M.M. Kaye). Awesome fairy tale with a twist. :)

What's your latest read? Emily's Quest (L.M. Montgomery) and Praying Backwards (Brian Chapell, I think) for a non-fic pick.

Guilty pleasure? Hmm, maybe the Twilight series since the writing skill level is lower than I usually prefer to read, but I enjoyed the vamp and werewolf world and many of the minor characters.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:00am
I tend to reread the Anne of Green Gables series over and over, along with the Harry Potter books.

I was reading books by Ludlum (not sure the first name, he wrote the Bourne series) They were OK, after the 3rd it was getting a bit repetitive.

I found out last week the library has the whole set of 1980-90s Star Trek TOS books. So I'm going to mark down the ones we have and finish off the others.

I love reading and will read just about anything. JT has been doing story hour at the library and he does pretty good at letting me look to pick out a few books. I'm really bad about remembering authors, I knew there were 2 that I tried out over the summer that I liked and now I don't remember their names.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 11:45pm

Which book (or books) do you think everyone should read? The Swiss Family Robinson.  The story is absolutely ubelievable when you think about it, but it's such a classic story about perseverance and family that I really think everyone should read it at least once.

Which book do you find yourself picking up over and over?  Pride and Prejudice.  I rarely read it from cover to cover, but there are parts that I go back to often.

What's your latest read?  I'm currently into Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen, and I just finished reading The Professor by Charlotte Bronte.  I picked up The Professor on a whim; Chapters had classic literature on 3 for 10$ and the synopsis appealed to me.  It's a story about an Englishman who goes to Brussels and ends up falling in love with one of his pupils; a very nice little story with a happy ending, which always appeals to me.  Mansfield park I'm having a little bit more trouble with.  I just can't get into it the same way.

Guilty pleasure?  Most of my books are guilty pleasures, since I have to sneak the time to read, but I still read the Tamora Pierce fantasy books that I read when I was ten.