What do you do...

iVillage Member
What do you do...
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:02am
When you are invited to someone's house that you don't really like that much?

Joe told me that we had been invited to a coworkers house for the game today...the wife of this coworker is the real estate agent we used and the last I went on the cruise with. You all know that back story...lol

Here's why we accepted: the city is laying off a few people. Joe still has a job but he'll be transferring to another department. Another guy on his crew got bumped down to part time. So the team is getting split up (there are only 4 in the department). This was kind of a chance for them to hang out without "listening ears" so we went.

I survived thanks to my favorite riesling...lol.

Basically, the city realizes that 1. Joe's department saved them from a huge lawsuit recently and 2. they cannot be efficient with only 2.5 employees. So why break them up? Well, supposedly, it will be easier to get approval to open positions back up in one department than to open positions in multiple departments. We'll see though. Joe is going back to the department he was hired in, doing the same job he was originally hired for. Thank goodness his pay will remain the same and that he still has a job.

The day today was really good for them I think... and even though I wasn't thrilled about going, i'm glad we did.

Sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:47am
I'm glad Joe still has a job - facing a possible layoff is so stressful.

I hate to have to go somewhere like that when I don't want to - I wonder why the guys didn't just have a "guys" night.

But good for you that you went
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:10am
I think they are planning on that too. But I think the wife insisted that "the girls" come too thinking that we wouldn't be interested in watching the game. Both of us like football though so it kind of backfired...lol.

We ended up helping her decorate for halloween after which was actually pretty fun. I got to know T (she's J's girlfriend) a little better. She's always seemed kind of ditzy but turns out she's just got a voice that makes her sound that way...lol. She's super sweet and we had fun together so the day wasn't pure torture. :smileywink:

Sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:49pm
If I cannot possibly weasel out of such an invitation I will sigh hugely, plaster on my "I'm having a great time" party face, and hope like crazy that there will be other guests and at least one will be someone I DO actually like!
I am glad Joe still has his job with no pay cuts, even if it is in a different department. City thinking and politics always bemuses me!

Carole

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:29pm
Lol Carole that sounds about right!

Sarah