Switching Midwives

iVillage Member
Switching Midwives
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:19am
My original midwife wasn't able to do the post-partum visits, so we have a new midwife, and I've been so unhappy - just realized this yesterday, though. I suppose the options are to speak up about what I don't like, switch midwives or just go without one.

Anyhow, she told me I didn't need the prescriptions that the hospital ordered me to take, and I should take what she gave me instead. I'm so out of it, I didn't realize it was homeopathy and not proper supplements. I also had no idea of the severity of my hemoglobin levels - I'm 7 (they normally do transfusions at 8 or lower!). So here I was taking homeopathic tablets instead of the iron, vitamin C and folic acid. When my milk supply started slipping nights, I did some research and found that basically all our BFing issues could be due to the anemia. I also remember the doc saying you can only raise your HB level by one point each month, so don't miss any tablets. Managing my medical care isn't easy when I feel so crappy - I thought I was just tired, but I also noticed slurred speech at times, so I'm getting worried.

Just called OBGYN this morning and DH is picking up prescription today. Next would be making a decision about the midwife. Thoughts? We're also considering hiring a lactation consultant instead. Insurance should cover 4 visits and 4 tel consulations.

Also - any nutrition tips for upping iron? I had no idea sugar blocks absorption! I'm also nervous about leafy greens while BFing - LO has a very sensitive tummy it seems. We've mostly just been eating sweet potatoes, carrots and potatoes.

- JM

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:35pm
(lurking from the Nov board)

Wow, if I were you I'd be strongly considering a switch too! One way you could get a bit of extra iron is to cook in a cast iron pan. I've also read that calcium can inhibit iron absorption but vitamin C helps. Something to look into. Good luck!

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:15pm

How irresponsible!Iron Folic Acid and Vitamin C are all natural vitamins anyways -geez!!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:31am
Thanks for the input. We told her we wanted to take a break for a week because the daily visits were just too stressful. She wants to show us some baby care stuff, which I suppose I'm fine with, but there's definitely questions about the medical expertise - I think it's only fair to give a valid reason if we drop her, but I'm not sure there's any point in disclosing anything other than the fact the visits and daily weigh ins are stressing me out. LO is close to birth weight and my nipples have stopped bleeding (still hurt though), so it's pretty much just a matter of getting a nursing routine going.

- JM

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:51pm
Lol: DH went to the OBGYN for me today. Wish I could've seen that!! Anyhow, doc wants to see me regularly to check my iron levels. She said I was very lucky to get any midwife since they're booked out waaay in advance here. (We booked the first one around 14w, if I remember correctly.) So, I suppose if I have the doc to do the medical stuff, it'll be ok not to switch.

Btw, apparently my grandmom says iron pill intolerance runs in the family: I vomited even more than while PG. No where near as violently, though. ;-) I'm gonna call the hospital and ask the exact brand they gave me there. Had no issues then. *sigh*

- JM

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:00am

Sorry!  I'm not a fan of home remedies for true medical conditions.  They're okay in addition to normal medicine, but you can't give up normal medicine.  You need to get better.  I honestly would stop seeing her if I were you.  Home midwife visits don't happen in the US and we survive just fine.  And she's adding way too much stress to your life. 

Vitamin C aids iron absorbtion.  Calcium blocks it.  Space dairy products 2-3 hours away from iron.  I don't tolerate iron well, but when I've had to take it I stagger half my meals to be iron rich and half to be normal.  It's been something like this:

Early morning: Just fluids (I can't eat when I first wake up)

9 or 10am: Breakfast included dairy/protein/carbs but didn't worry about vitamin content

12pm: Lunch included iron supplement pill, a vitamin c food (broccoli, oranges, etc.), and something normal like a sandwich. Lunch was dairy free to avoid calcium.

3 or 4pm: Snack was whatever I wanted, tried to include calcium

6pm: Dinner was high in iron and vitamin c and dairy free

Bedtime snack: Milk and carbs (easier to sleep with a full belly!)

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:12pm
L, thanks for sharing that! It really helps give me an idea of how to make it work. The first iron pill I got that made me sick had to be taken 2 hrs before or after food, but I had to switch, so I think the new one will be like in the hospital. I'll find out tomorrow.

Is it true that citrus fruits are an absolute no go? I'm craving pineapples and oranges so bad, and there aren't many fruits and veggies to choose from once summer is over. (Lows are already in the 30s here!)

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:56pm

Why no citrus foods?  Haven't heard that one.  I mean, I've seen it on the huge list of things that might upset baby while bfeeding, but I think it depends on the baby.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012