Outdoors in the cold: your ears

Community Leader
Outdoors in the cold: your ears
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 9:50am

We are having our first round of cold weather in my area. I went out walking the other night and by the time I had walked two miles my head and ears were killing me from the cold. I don't really care for stocking caps because I get all sweaty and itchy. Cotton balls in my ears work okay but not great. Does anyone else have ear pain from walking in the cold? How do you prevent it? 

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:05am

Yep.. It got really cold where I am and I have no motivation to walk now.. so I am wondering how I am going to get motivated to get out there.. I will have to bundle up and probably wear a hat or a  hoodie.. I have one on now as I am battling sinus problems and it hurts bad. feeling a bit better now since the sun came out...

I was thinking of some alternative exercise like some classes but I am so lazy in going to an actual place.but they do offer some classes in a HS where I live or adult ed or something..

what about wearing a nice trendy scarf or hoodie underneath your coat.. that would work..

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:52am

I think motivation is definitely the most popular problem everyone has. I do find that if I am comfortable then I am more likely to stay motivated and the ear thing is something that distracts from my motivation. lol

I will look for a scarf of some type. I tried ear muffs but they aren't really comfortable for me and don't work all that well in my opinion. 

What kind of classes are you looking at? Maybe you can find a buddy to do them with you. I find it easier if I have someone to walk with because we sort of help keep each other accountable and motivated. 

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:32am

I guess ear muffs are no longer fashionable since all one can find in stores are those knit headbands, which I hate. Scarves tend to slide off my head (never have been able to get a scarf to work for me) and I have yet to find the advantage of hoods on coats (same issues as with scarves. So my ears tend to freeze as well... to say nothing of my eyes tearing up 9and fogging my glasses so I can't see) and my nose starting to run...

Thank goodness for indoor tracks at the gym as other wise I wouldn't even consider walking (not  that I've been that conscientious of late).

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:35am

Oh; I forgot to mention this because this sinus thing has thrown me for a loop.

Anyway;  yes; a friend of mine who lives walking distance from me told me a few times a week she will come here and get me to walk. So far i havent seen her but we only decided on this last Thursday when I was walking and I saw her driving so I stopped her on street (lol) and then we talked.. I am hoping when sinus clears she will come and we can walk. yes; thank you I forgot about that.

I am going to have to wear something on head because I get the bad sinus thingy..I was looking for my cap yesterday and couldnt find it so I wore a scarf and I am in house. No heat on yet cause its too early..

Anyway; I dont like driving to a gym or a class so I know there is a zumba class one night a week where I live.and I can walk there.. I might try that and do some walking. LIke mix it up a bit.. Oh; I think the town offers some classes not too far away but If i have to drive I probably wont go..(lol)

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 2:49pm

The military solved this one:

If you are luck enough to know someone who shops at a base commissary have them buy for you a

Black Soft Fleece Headband Ear Warmer Wrap

on line try Amazon or Luxury Divas.  There can be a very windy & cool difference between ear warmers and an earwarmer wrap.

One can find ear muffs on line too.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 2:57pm

freeatlast2008-

What works for me is one of those cheap white dust filter masks you buy in groups at the hardware store.

I use them for a number of household and outdoor tasks.   Some catalogues sell material masks for cold weather breathing.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:44pm

I have had a problem with ear pain caused from the cold and/or wind for years. It's always my left ear, however, not both. I do wear protective gear when out in the cold and wind - ear muffs, scarf or hat.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:06pm
I just walk indoors when it is cold because ear muff and head scarves look ridiculous and I don't like being cold. A lot of malls open early for walking groups or head to a nearby college campus and walk their halls. The upside is it is a completely different terrain and there are stairs to challenge you.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 4:35am

Well I will use a  scarf, best for protecting ourself from cold!!