Happy Columbus and Thanksgivng Days!

iVillage Member
Happy Columbus and Thanksgivng Days!
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:14am
Happy Thanksgiving/Columbus Day :smileyhappy: Did your college student have the day off? Have they checked in recently? How was your weekend? Staying warm? :smileyhappy:If you’re in Canada, today is Thanksgiving. We wish them all a good holiday and the time to enjoy their families and all the stuff that goes with the holiday. :smileyhappy:Here in the U.S., it’s Columbus Day, and some folks— including banks and federal workers — get the day off.  (Not so with my County's Public Schools.) For some people, including a number of Native Americans, the celebration of the arrival of European settlers in the West is problematic. :smileyhappy:Whether or not you celebrate or have the day off, have a nice day.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:49am
I have a friend in Canada and she was making me hungry talking about all the yummy Thanksgiving goodies she was making (they had their big feast yesterday). Today one of 8 furlough days that my district has to take this year. So, I have a day off, but I'm losing a day's pay. That is ok. If they are going to cut my pay, I guess it's better to have a day off than to work for nothing. I tried to sleep in, but of course I couldn't so I read for about an hour, which was nice. I think I'll take myself to the movies this afternoon. I'm a great date haha! DH has work, DD22 has to teach and DD20 has class.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:21pm
Hi Sharon, When my husband travels I often go to the movies i love popcorn as my dinner treat! I saw perfect pitch. What movie did you see?
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:39pm
Will your college student be home for that fall break? My husband is in Atlanta today and will be in Gainesville on business on Friday and was trying to get me to drive up there to meet everyone for a Friday night dinner. Which sounded like fun until he said I could haul the scooter up in the truck.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:07pm

No one had the day off here, not even our teacher. Odd said during the strike, parents bee-ached they wanted their kids back in school.  Strike over, union offered to add the lost days back on at the end of the year.  Then the parents bee-ached they did NOT want their kids in school.  Geez!!!  So they decided to have class on single days off thruout the year.  Goodby Columbus Day, King Day, President's Day, Pulaski Day, etc, etc, etc...

Monday is *my* work day, and we're usually slammed on a shool holiday.  Not today.  I ended up working only 5 hours -- which started at 2pm.  I HATE that.  The whole day I'm thinking, "Can't do that, go there, start a project - won't be done in time for work.  I did laundry, pushed the vac, and picked my remaining tomatoes, to ripen on the dining room table.  Thank Ja DH had binner when I got home, at 7:45pm!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:10pm
I saw Pitch Perfect too. It was fun movie, but it made me miss Amanda. She was my musical theater kid, always singing or performing. Nothing like the performing in the movie, but it was enough to make me miss her. Plus I always miss her when I go to the theater because it's the one she works at when she is not away at school. One nice thing is I get to see her coworkers and friends.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:19am

Columbus Day makes me nostalgic for my elementary school days, drawing pictures of the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.  I was very good at drawing, so I loved any holiday that gave me a chance to draw.

I sorta had the day off.  I'm self-employed, so that doesn't really count.  I did a meeting and some emails in the late afternoon, but spent the rest of the day doing laundry, homestudying 12yo DS on religious ed, going over 17yo DD's college applications, and organizing our walk-in storage closet. 

We saw "Frankenweenie" Sat night - so cute and funny!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:36am

We had a wonderful weekend with dd19. We went to the homecoming game (someone couldn't bring himself to root for IU, even for his sister... dh is an MSU alum, but he gamely rooted for IU :smileywink:), walked around campus, had some lovely meals, and just enjoyed dd's company. I can't believe that dd is graduating in 7 months. It feels like she just started!! Bloomington is a great college town - where else would the public art include knitted tree covers on all the trees in the town square?!?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:12pm

The college kid is coming home tomorrow for a few days.  I get to go get her.  We're also driving her stand partner in orchestra home- she lives 45 minutes from here so it's not that much out of the way.  I'm kind of hoping that maybe her parents will let us drop dd off at their home on Sunday to take them back to campus.  And then maybe we can work something out for the rest of the year so we aren't having to go back and forth with each break. 

School is 3.5 hours one way.   

I was curious- so I checked out a bus fare and a train schedule.  The train was going to be $113 one way.  And it would have taken her more than twice as long as us driving there!  A bus wasn't a whole lot better- that was only $70.  But it would take her 5 hours.  And the bus depot where Greyhound drops off is not in the nicest part of the city.  For $40- the price of 1 tank of gas, I can get her and the other girl home. 

I guess for at least this year, we'll be going to campus in some way about once a month.  She's got a concert in Dec at Christmas.  Don't know if we'll get to that or not- she gets out for break less than a week later.  All of her concerts are streamed online so we can still watch them :smileyhappy:

Cheryl

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:21am
What great smiles and arm hugs! Theresa, thanks for sharing your family! Your boys are getting so tall! Are th.ey taller than you? I love the knitting on the trees! I spent a week in Bloomington way back when I was in college on a sorority leader exchange. It culiminated in a football game. IU beat us! The bell tower is what I have never forgotten!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:48am

Theresa, thanks for sharing your family! Your boys are getting so tall! Are th.ey taller than you?

Well, here's a comparative look. Thank goodness my ds10 hasn't passed me yet, lol, but I'm 5'6" so I imagine he will soon-. everyone else has. Dd22 is actually about my height, but she wears crazy high heels all the time. Dd19 is taller than I am by a couple of inches. Ds12 has just started to pass me (clearly he got dh's tall genes). I am always going to look short, too, because I don't wear high heels very often. And what is "high" for me is so NOT high for the girls!

Pages