HE Washers

iVillage Member
HE Washers
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:45am

I just bought a new LG he top-loading washing machine.  I can't say I'm very impressed with it.  It seems to me they've over thought the process and taken all the control away with the programming in the machine.   I used to have a top loading agitator washer that I could soak things and control the cycles.  I find the pre soak cycle on this new thing to be a joke.  I threw a load of rags in to soak.  It put barely enough water in to cover the rags:  they proceeded to soak up all the water and my rags were sitting in nothing.  How is that "soaking"?  Then it automatically starts the wash cycle and it "washed" the damp, dirty rags in basically no water.  No, not impressed at all.  I guess you just have to soak your stuff in something else, then transfer the wet, heavy clothes into the washer?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Terri

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 5:02pm
My washer is older than dirt. It's a top-loading agitator. How does it work without an agitator? Why don't you return it and buy another kind?
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-28-2012 - 8:50am

Hi!

I've used a top loader/ HE for a number of years now.  It is a different world.  I was dismayed at first when I used the soak feature on my washer.  I too liked the idea of tossing some things in to soak and had exactly same experience.  I do not use the soak feature on my washer.  I soak and transfer the items to the washer.  That said, I really like everything else about the washer.  It seems to be gentler on clothes and it is easier to load and unload.  I have found that for the most part soaking is unneccesary.  The machine just works better at getting things clean.  Good Luck!   

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 10:28pm
Update: I ended up returning the machine. In addition to just not liking the way the he machine works, this thing starting staining my clothes. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, but after it ruined about a dozen items of clothing, I decided it was because of the bleach dispenser. I think when I used bleach, it kept dribbling it out in successive wash loads. I bought a new GE top loader with an agitator and manual water level controls. So far, so good.

Terri