Checking w/ progress since last year :)

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Checking w/ progress since last year :)
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:49am

Hello DSG! It has been awhile since I have checked in and have been meaning to do so for awhile. Last time I wrote was maybe after our daughter was born last November. Any ways since then we have made some good progress and have of course wasted a little money a long the way also :smileywink:

Here it is in a nut shell!

-we were able to get new windows from the state due to lead, we had to pay about 3500 of our own money but this year it is amazing how much warmer the house is!!!!! And now we have screens :smileyhappy:.

-I used my miles to go to Finland and I visited my family there. It was a amazing trip. I only brought the baby and she was an excellent traveler. The only down side is that it is so expensive that I don't know how I will ever be able to bring the other two girls with me but some day. It was really cool because now that we have reconnected in person I feel like it is a place that I could visit again or have them come and stay with us sometime.

-My in-laws stayed with us for 6 weeks (part of the time when I was in Finland) and we did a lot of fun things with them.

-We switched the girls schools to what was easier for me (not just what my husband wanted) one is the free pre-k option by the city and it has been excellent. The school for my first grader is good but there are some challenges so we shall see. The nice thing for me is I am not driving like crazy any more this year and we do not have preschool tuition.

-we are trying to refinance our house like Marie and we may be underwater. We owe 147,000 and bought the house for 175,00 in 2005 and have probably spent 35000-40000 fixing it up. That includes updating the kitchen, electrical, new bathroom, chimney insert, new windows, new deck, roof, rebuilding the top of the chimney and all of the other little things. I am hoping that it gets appraised for 165000 so that we don't have to pay in to refinance. We may have to pay the closing depending on the value. My Dad said he would borrow  the $ if there is a difference we need to make up but I really don't want to do that. The appraisal will be in a few weeks so we are trying to spruce up as much as possible. If anyone has tips for appraisals please let me know!

Our bathroom loan is about 3500 which will be paid with this years taxes. Also, our car loan that we refinanced in order to lower the interest on part of our bathroom loan is now at 8000.

I also figured out that we are at about 175000 in debt at this point with our mortgage, car, bathroom loan and student loan. In the past 7 years since we bought the house we had taken out about 225000 in loans, so we have paid off about 50000. That feels good and we are not planning on taking more loans so that number will continue to go down.

The family is good. Things are OK with H. We are continuing to work on our issues. I think that is why I took a break from obsessing about finances because that became the priority and the baby takes all of my time :smileyhappy: 

Karen congrats on your girl. Norma you are making amazing progress. Thanks to whoever read this far.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 4:05pm
Great to hear from you LIZ!!!!!! Keep up the good work. Sounds like things are going in the right direction for you. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:10pm

You've had a busy year!!

I hope all goes well with your refinancing!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:30am
hahahaha, thanks, that is great to hear. She is a true blessing and it is nice to have a girl! My 12 year old and 15 year old boys are such boys! They adore her and my husband is such a great dad! It was a very good decision, we love her to bits. I will teach her to cook and manage her money properly for sure!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:23pm

Liz so good to hear from you. I am glad you took a trip and enjoyed yourself. 

Wow 50 grand. So great. Your head seems in the right place and I hope the refinancing goes as you hope. 

Good luck and keep checking in.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:34pm
It's always good to read check-ins from old regulars. I can't believe your baby is almost a year already! I've been hanging around this board for a loonnnng time and I don't have any great progress to report. I have to live vicariously through everyone else and keep on keepin' on!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:32pm
Liz-
Good to hear you are doing so well. You debts are not massive and you have made strides. Good job getting the girls' school situation straightened out.
Boy, have you done a LOT on the house, I am totally envious!
-Marie
#Marie