How do/did you recognize the eating disorder?

Administrator
How do/did you recognize the eating disorder?
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:54am

How did you know you or your loved one had an eating disorder? What was the first symptom that caused you to suspect it? What did you do once you realized it could be an eating disorder?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:48pm

Hey Karla,

I think it can be real difficult to work out whether someone has an eating disorder as sufferers make every effort to hide it. For me, I realized I had a problem when I was throwing food away but pretending I was eating it. but I thought I was still in control. I got really good an deceiving everyone around me.  It took me a long time to admit it was an eating disorder though and my weight hit a dangerous low. It was only when I tried to eat that I had to acknowledge that it was a problem and I needed help, that I was in the grip of a serious problem.

Love

Promise

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:11am

I think I knew I had an issue when I was using lax as a teen. I never considered I had an ED though because I wouldn't use them regularly. I did it in a way that made me think I had it under control and there was no problem. However, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was wrong.

Then, as I got older I started working out excessively. I still managed to maintain weight and convince everybody that I was trying to be healthy. Eventually, I just stopped eating and my weight dropped to a dangerous low. I knew I had a problem then but I still wouldn't admit it. My family intervened and I was hospitalized. Even after that, it took me a while to admit how much of a problem it had really become.

Photobucket