Thread Straighteners - a review

iVillage Member
Thread Straighteners - a review
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:07am

A few days ago, I mentioned that Kate Gaunt of the Shining Needle Society had recommended a method for making rayon threads more manageable and she indicated that there was a gadget celled the Thread Straightener that she used to demonstrate which worked nicely. I found it online and ordered one ($5 and free shipping --- couldn't lose, right?) and here is my assessment...

This is what the gadget looks like: two acrylic rods with a rubberized center "cushion" on each one: 

P1010001.jpg

and this is a length of three strands of DMC rayon  (OK, I admit it, too long to stitch with but it was loose in my floss bag so I used it) --- note how "kinky" it is:

P1010002.jpg

What you do is wrap each end of your thread around one of the little rubber cushions (oh, that is an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper underneath so you can see how large these little things are)...:

P1010003.jpg

I wrapped three times for each end as it felt more secure to me. Then you take a rod in each hand, extend the thread full length and pull. Don't jerk, just pull steadily. You you will feel the thread "give" a little. It isn't dramatic but it can be felt. End result: 

P1010004.jpg

Notice the lack of kinks?

Unwind the ends and you can see, where the thread was wound, it's still a little crinkly but the part in the middle is smooth and a lot less prone to tangling into something resembling a birds nest on steroids!

P1010005.jpg

I tried it on Kreinik braid as well (you know how curly it is when it comes off those spools...) and it worked there as well.

While it may never make me love rayons and metallics to stitch with, I have to say this gadget does what it advertises and is well worth the $5 investment.

I have no monetary or other connection with the makers of Thread Straighteners  (who also are the makes of Tacky Bob, it turns out!) but I do like their product!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:39pm

I have seen this in NIHS but I have never used them. Glad it worked for you.

I was busily stitching yesterday on the Kimono and I wasn't sure of the colors in one section. So I sat it up on a chair so I could look at it in day light. Abby walked over and chewed off the metalic thread! D....CAT!

Anyway I had to take out the metalic thread and so I decided not to use it afterall.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 9:08pm
Clearly, Abby had strong opinions about thread choice! LOL