Very worried about my sister - need advice

iVillage Member
Very worried about my sister - need advice
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:55am
I am so sorry to jump in here without looking at any of the other posts, but I am so scared I just need help. My sister has been depressed for several years, but in the past couple of years she has gotten a divorce (she initiated it), lost our mom (who lived with her) and had money problems with of her own as have her adult children. My sister is an incredibly upbeat person with other people so it really took me a while to even believe that she was depressed. Now she is so bad she can't even go to work - and she is not at all the sort of person that misses work. She is just taking a week or two off... I am so worried about her and I don't know what to do. We live 7 hours from each other so I can't just go visit her. She keeps saying that there is nothing I can do, but I feel like as a sister there must be something I should or could do. Please help!
Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:10pm

~hugs~

So sorry that you are worried about your sister.

It is sweet that you are concerned about her.

I have Depression and I know my sister worries.

We live a long way from each other, I have not seen her in years...:smileysad:...

She is married has four children and also works both in and out of their home.

Just keep reaching out to her...

<3

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:59pm

Hey,

you sound like a real caring sister and I know it must hurt to see your sister suffering and not be able to be with her.  Perhaps you could persaude her to go talk with her doctor, if she has not already done that, and just let her know that you are there to listen when she wants to talk and that she has your support even though you are separated by distance.

Love

Promise

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:36am
Thank you. She is going to her doctor today. I just don't know what to do and I am so worried.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:37am
Thanks. I just want to show up and let her know how much I care, but it is so tough to drop everything and drive to her.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:57am

I feel bad for you and your sister!!Do not worry,you can email her,chat with her in order to spend time

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 1:13pm

Hey,

it is good that she will see her doctor. That is a big step forward to getting help. Is she able to arrange some kind of talking therapy? Often talking with someone totally unconnected to us can help. Maybe you could just let her know that you are happy to listen to her, without judgement, when and if she is ready to talk. Just for her to know you care is the greatest gift you can give her.

Love

Promise

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:26pm

((((hugs)))) I understand that you just can't run over and visit her, is there anyway you could get her to you since she is off for a few weeks? I like the idea of a care package too. I know when I was dealing with PPD it made my day to get cards in the mail. Did you know that you can mail those movie box type candies by just attaching the addresses? Just take it to the post office. I hope she finds some help with her doctor. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:49pm
Community Leader
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:13pm

~hugs~

My sister and I don't live close...:smileysad:...

So I know it's hard.

<3

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:28am

Nor me with my sisters, especially one who I am so close to. :smileysad:

Love

Promise