Not Quite 50 & Fabulous....

iVillage Member
Not Quite 50 & Fabulous....
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 2:13pm

Perhaps this goes here?  I'm 49 and feeling less than fabulous, but that may just be circumstantial (it could be boredom or missing aspects of my previous life).  I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 18 months, and counting.  Ours is a long story, and it began when we were 15.  I'll save that for another post though.  Needless to say we are in the best relationship we've ever been in (he'll agree with me on that one).  I live 883 miles away from my previous life and have been here just over 3 years, I'm a full time homemaker (no jobs in my field in our area). My husband was isolated by his previous wife and so we are slowing gaining friends. 

Recently I was given the early diagnosis of being in menopause, (can't have a blood test for 6 months per the Dr.).  I was being treated for adenomyosis, had three cycles as per the medication one 16 days after the last medicated one and then nothing. Was told not to worry about being pregnant,or getting pregnant, the ultrasound tech confirmed that I was not pregnant (needed the ultrasound to check the uterine lining again - don't have the results back yet).

So here I sit, going through this rollercoaster of different symptoms without knowing what to expect or what the duration of this "fun" is, and finding reliable information is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've seen the Menopause Oasis and the information there is great!  Very helpful thank you ladies.  The "plan" right now is to go through this naturally, using only supplements, vitamins and diet - unless I get BSC (Bat Sh*t Crazy).

My doctor told me I'll get through this (all women do), and that it's temporary - okay great temporary as in a few months or temporary as in 20 years? 

I guess I just want to whine a little...  Thanks ladies. 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:12pm

My previous life included friends and associates from my career as well as a few family members; all of that was lovely and I'm sure I would at least be working as a consultant now if I hadn't moved.  I would also be avoiding my "normal" haunts and activities I enjoyed to avoid being stalked and harassed.   My divorce from my ex-H of almost 10 years was horrific and another long story. 

My DH (Dear Husband) and I have a very interesting history indeed.  We met and dated briefly in high school and then became one another's best friend.  We remained best friends for 6 years through my family's move out of state and his enlisting in the Army.  When he recieved orders to go to Germany is when we lost touch (and that is another story as well). I wrote to him but the letters weren't forwarded as they had been in the past and they weren't returned either. 

I found out at what would have been the time for our 10 year high school reunion that he was married.  I had waited... There is so much to our story that I really should just break down and write the book.  

When our 20 year hgh school reunion was being organized I was contacted by the person getting everyone's information and asked if he could give my DH my email.  I didn't see the harm and agreed.  I wasn't able to go because my ex-H was very insecure. 

That same year my dad  was battling and losing to lung cancer.  He lived in NV, and I was in WA.  My dad raised me pretty much by himself (yet another story).  One of the last times we talked in person he asked about the young man I was good friends with in high school. It was at this time that my dad told me that he had always liked my now DH. 

We (my DH and me) sent the occasional benign email about vacations we had taken or a joke.  Nothing that would be irksome to anyone, we didn't even flirt.  In 2008 my ex and his began affairs, he found out about his ex-W's Christmas Eve, my ex-H asked for a divorce 20 times in less than 12 weeks. 

In 2009 after divorces were filed for, and separations were under way my DH wanted to see me.  We reunited after 24.5 years of not seeing one another on April 3, 2009.  I moved after my divorce was final in August of 2009, my hours had gone from 32 to 16 or less per week.  We were engaged on April 3, 2010 and married on April 3, 2011.  (Still ended up being long - sorry) Of course there is much more to the story, but I was really attempting to keep it short. 

We're raising our (his) daughter as her bio-mom refused to take responsibility for her part in the damaged relationship that they had.  The last time our daughter saw her bio-mom she was 16 - she's 19 now and her bio-mom passed away June of this year.  The bio-mom was a severe alcoholic and that is what killed her. 

My diagnosis of menopause is considered  early as in they cannot have absolute proof until a blood test is done and that can't happen for 6 months.  I haven't had hot flashes. I do get over heated at night but that is because I have three feline heaters sleeping next to me.  

Thank you for the information I appreciate it.  My Dr. has been pretty loosey-goosey with the information, but I guess it's a guessing game and really it's up to one's individual biology as to what symptoms if any one has. 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 5:46pm

Thank you for all the information I should share it with my hubby as well.  He was asking me questions about it as though I would be the authority! 

My dad and I were close, and losing him was tough on me, my (Step) mom and baby sister.  We were all so very bonded to him. My bio-mom wasn't so great either (more to the story), and so I understand my daughter's relucatance to have her bio-mom in the picture.  I'm a good support for my daughter and she calls me mom and our relationship is that of a true mother and daughter. 

I will check out the other boards and see where I can be of assistance.  Life has given me a lot of lessons and a lot of love,  so if I can help someone else I'm happy to do it.