Sure is quiet in here - how about a roll call?

iVillage Member
Sure is quiet in here - how about a roll call?
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:34pm

Let's do a roll call. Odsters, newbies, lurkers - tell us as much or little about yourself and your teens as you feel comfortable sharing. And the 'bonus question': Does your local high school have a fall Homecoming weekend (parade/football game/dance).

I'm Pam in small town central IL. Married to dh for 29 1/2 years. Our boys are 22 and 25 but I started lurking on this board when my oldest was about 12 and was the cl for several years so it's near and dear to my heart. Older ds is in his 2nd year of med school, younger ds lives at home and is at the local community college. This is his 3rd attempt at college and we're hoping the third time's the charm!:smileytongue:

Football is a huge thing in our small town and the high school homecoming was a couple weeks ago. Parade Friday afternoon, game Friday night (which we won), and the dance was Saturday night. I've not actually been back to a game since ds22 was a high school sophomore. My boys were both bandos and we'd go to the home games til half time to see them perform. Ds22 quit after his sophomore year so consequently that was our last time going to the high school football game!

Pam

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:34pm

I'm Lisa and I live with my DH, 2 sons (ages 13 and 9), and 2 cats in Louisiana. 

Football is a huge thing around here too. My kids aren't old enough to have their own Homecoming yet but I have fond memories of going out to the games, dinner, and dances with my friends and our dates. Man, sometimes it seems like just yesterday and other times, it seems like another lifetime ago!

Lisa 

Community Leader
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 1:45pm
Ramona here in a west of Chicago burb. Married to dh on Saturday for 22 years. We have two freshman, 18 year old dd away at school and 14 yo ds in HS. Homecoming is big here, it was last weekend. It helps that we have a GREAT football program. Dd came home last weekend for some symposium in Chicago, but went to the pancake breakfast at her old HS. Ds was going to the dance, but his date fell through, so he did not go. He is on a freshman football team and they were going as a group. We have a bonfire, parade, dances, peprallies, etc... It is fun, the whole town gets into it. He decided not to do marching band this year, but intends to do it next year, should be fun with football!!

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:06pm

Kelly in NY.  DH & I have been together for 30 years this month but only married for 22.

DS 20 is a junior at a small liberal arts college, DD 17 is a HS senior who is submitting her early decision application to college this week, and DS 12 is my biggest worry at the moment, as he is (according to his teachers) an extremely bright child who consistently gets the highest grades in class on tests but DOESN'T HAND IN HIS HOMEWORK.  It is like a retread of DS#1 all over again - auugghhh!

Honestly I have no idea about homecoming.  We have a football team but football is far from the be-all and end-all it is in some other areas.  I've had two kids go through HS and have never heard either breathe a word about homecoming.

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:08pm

Tracy here, my parents have been in town for the last week so I've been pretty absent in general lately.  I'm in Central Texas, I have Jordyn (17 and a senior), Emma (5 and in kindie) and Madison (3).  Currently working full time, but contemplating going to a part-time contract work basis to devote more time at home with the little ones and DH's growing business that i do the bookkeeping for.  We have a recruiting visit at the end of the month to Jordyn's top choice school, so its exciting!!

As for the bonus question, the school district has always had homecoming activities and the big game, but they have not done a high school dance in many many years, this year the seniors are putting on teh homecoming dance and everyone is extremely excited, we purchased Jordyn's dress on Monday.  Currently she is planning on going with her BFF, she's already got a busy day that day/week actually, all the homecoming activities that week leading up to the game she will cheer at Friday night.  Then Saturday morning they have scheduled the cheerleading parent showcase for her competitive cheer team at 1 and 4 that day, dance starts at 8:00 and then she's leaving early the next morning to coach her mini competitive cheer team at the state fair competition.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Mostly a lurker, Wendy in So Cal, came here from England 23 yrs ago. Talk about night and day culture wise!  I am divorced from my kids dad and remarried to the best step parent and partner and also the first strong male in their lives.  Dad is their friend - is and always has been totally uninvolved with any parenting.(and functioning alcoholic).

DS21 lives with Dad and works a f/t job. DS18 my strongwilled/difficult one (adhd/oppositional combined with lazy) is a senior (our climax year) and already failing a class for the 3rd time since return to new school year 8 wks ago just as he has done every year.  We dont even discuss or argue over the failing class anymore, simply no going out on the weekend until the grade is passing.  I dont even tell him when I get notifiied of the grades - he can check the grades - I have come a long way!  This at least is getting the grades up quicker than previous years.  Dont even ask me what he is going to do on graduation!  You wouldnt like to know where my head goes!lol  I am sure alky Dad will save him for a while if they can tolerate each other - like his brother.  8 more months - but whose counting?!!  He is finally learning to drive after having his permit since Feb and being too lazy to practice! (thought he would just go for his driving test at 18 - with 2 hours of practice because after 18 here the 50 hrs of practice plus lessons are not required legally).  DD15 is my easy and most responsible, motivated of the 3, high achieving and a typical teen girl. She reaps the rewards of her responsibility which of course comes with its own challenges with being night and day from her brothers.

Yes we have HC - game and dance, it was the last weekend of Sept at 2 of the 3 high schools here, I work at the 3rd HS and theirs was a 2 weeks prior.  DD is the only one of mine who has been interested and attends both.

mom_uk2socal - Mom to DS22, DS19, DD16

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:06pm

I'm in Sydney Australia.   I don't know what Fall Homecoming is LOL

I have been with my partner for 20 years this last weekend.   We have a 13yo DD is an absolute joy and a 15yo DS who has autism.   DS can be amazingly funny or incredibly frustrating and all the shades inbetween.

13yo DD has her first crush and it's so cute.   I went to his house to collect her the other day and found the two of them in his room with their guitars on their laps discussing Shakespeare.   They are both academic nerds and have bonded through their nerdiness and guitars.    

We're coming into spring and I have to make sure to finish DD's patchwork quilt which is designed for warmer weather.  Then I have to draft a pattern and make her a 50's inspired dress - she's really skinny and size 00 clothes are hard to find, so I end up having to make a lot of her stuff.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:00pm

I'm Elizabeth in Michigan.  Married to DH Jay for 25 years.  We've got 4 kids:  Matt, 21 (22 on Saturday); Chris, 19; Greg, 16; and Cathy, 9.   All of them are at home. Matt works part time for an American Cancer Society call center; Chris is in his second year at Lansing Community College studying graphic design and computer multimedia; Greg is a junior in high school, where he runs cross country and track, sings in the honors choir, performs in the musicals, and is in the academic top 10 for his grade; and Cathy is in fourth grade and is a Girl Scout Junior (I'm her leader).

We have homecoming--in fact it's coming up this weekend.There's a bonfire mid-week, the parade and game on Friday afternoon/evining and dance on Saturday.  We never go to the game, and while Greg went to the dance freshman year, it was only because he was on homecoming court.  I doubt he'll ever go again. The older boys never did either.  We do love the parade, though.  Cathy and I always watch it--I think her favorite part is all the candy they throw from the floats and the cars with the pretty girls in their fancy dresses.

Elizabeth

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:00am

Liz in Boston.  I have a 17 yr old son & 23 yr old DD who is a nurse.  Our school does have a football game & homecoming dance. My DD was always into that stuff but my DS doesn't care about it at all.  He isn't interested in sports.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:11am
Sue in St Louis suburbs, ds20; been on PP then iV since he was 2. Yes, his HS has a homecoming parade, football game (they're always bad) and dance; he only went his first two years, stag - at his HS it was mostly for those ages.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:51am

Hi, I'm Terri and we live in Texas.  I have 17 year old triplets - 2 boys and a girl.  They are Juniors and each kiddo has their own "thing."  DD plays percussion in band; DS1 runs CC and track and DS2 plays football and baseball.  Football is a huge deal for our local community (reminds me of Friday Night Lights) and all three of our children are on the sidelines come Friday night.  We have HC, but no dance or parade.  In many ways the purpose of HC almost seems to be "the mum."  Kids decide to go together just so the girl will have a mum with a boy's name and the boy will get to wear a garter :smileyhappy:.  Though teenagers have their challenges, I actually enjoy this stage.  Hope you all have a great week !!!

Pages