Patches Thyroid Recheck Today

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Patches Thyroid Recheck Today
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 4:47pm

Patches had a recheck this morning.  The good news is she gained nearly a pound!  She's up to 11 pounds 10 1/2 ounces which is better.  She is a large cat so she can easlly be 12-13 pounds and not be at all overweight.  I'm just glad she gained since she was getting far too skinny.

Her thyroid was still high at 6 (should be below 4.8) but it was improved from over 8 last month.  Her kidneys are still normal so that is a relief (since other organs sometimes get worse when thyroid levels are brought down).  I'm to continue on the same 5mg pills each day and go back again in a month.  If she doesn't get down to normal range they may have to increase her dose. 

They also gave me a sample of the new Science Diet y/d to see if she likes it.  I tried a sample of the canned last time and she ate it but it was very dry consistency.  If she continues to hide or be upset by my giving her pills (plus she has vomited a little bit from it also), I may try this food to see if the food alone lowers her thyroid to normal levels.  The thing is you can only feed this food and cannot let her eat any other food or it won't work.  (No treats or yummy food with gravy).

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-yd-dry.html

Now I'm here seeing how Misha is doing.  She is sleeping a lot while she's been sick.  I just wish I could get her to eat more.

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:27pm
I am so glad it went from 8 to 6,i think that is a lot in a month..I have to feed my separately and they cannot eat any either but they dont seem to mind

Community Leader
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:54pm

That's good that Patches has gained some weight and her thyroid level has come down.  That's wonderful her kidneys are normal.  Hopefully another month on the same dose.

The Science Diet food sounds like it would be good.  If her thyorid could be controlled without meds that would be good.  Hopefully she will eat it.

This is the thyroid meds ^Fuzzy^ was on. I just rubbed it in his ears once a day.  He always sat on my lap after breakfast and I would just rub it on his ears then and he didn't mind at all.  He was hard to pill.  It has a dial that gives different doses so you have to see what works. 

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/items/hyperthyroidism/methimazole-twist-a-dose-transdermal-gel.html

I hope Misha will start eating better soon and get over that URI. Kisses to Patches and Misha.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 6:37pm

At least you have a option with the food if Patches continues to fight the pilling.  I sure miss ^Fuzzy^ too.  It wasn't stressful at all for ^Fuzzy^ to get his meds and loved it when I rubbed it in his ears.

That's a bummer that Boots has been throwing up and under the weather the past few days.  Yes sometimes it seems like it's always someting.  Sending prayers and kisses to that sweet girl

That's good that Misha is slowly getting better.  It's such a worry when our furkids won't eat like you know they should.  Have you tried a saline spray in her nose?  It might help some if you can do it.

That's a bummer you had vertigo for a few days.  I hope it will get better with exercises.

I'm doing good and so are the furkids.  Sammy hasn't puked for a couple of days so fingers crossed he will be OK.

Sending Big hugs and kisses to you and the furs too.

Photobucket