HCG not qite double...BTDT??

iVillage Member
HCG not qite double...BTDT??
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 5:47pm

Hi, it's Karri.  I have been on and off of here numerous times in the last 2 years with 8ish losses.  I have another BFP and I am trying to stay positive, but man is it tough.  I had betas drawn Sunday (15 DPO) and today (17 DPO) and the values were 73.8 and now 130.  It's almost double, but not quite so of course I am terrified.  I know I have to just relax, but I haven't had good luck and I was just hoping that the numbers would double and my mind would be at ease.  My doubling time is about 60 hours.  I did read on one site that 31-72 hrs for doubling time is fine if the hcg value is less than 1200, but I have always heard 48 hrs or less.  I am just curious if anyone else had HCG values that didn't quite double and if things turned out okay.  I have to go back Friday for more labwork.  Thanks for your input. 

Karri

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:25pm
You are right about a 72 hour doubling time being normal. My doubling time was 68 hours when checked in the 1000 to 6000 HCG range (they didn't check it until my level was already 1035). I was disappointed with my second level of just 5750 seven full days after the first level had been drawn, but I felt a bit better when I calculated a doubling time of less than 72 hours. So many women were reporting much faster doubling times than mine in the same HCG range, so I had set the bar really high for myself and was disappointed by my number and rate. But it was enough. It only needs to be enough. There is no extra credit for faster doubling times. Hang in there!

Dyan

Due May 1, 2013 by ultrasound (April 27, 2013 by LMP)

Married DH 12/27/99

Mom to DD 9, DD 6, DS 3

PCOS; 4 miscarriages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:24pm
Within 72 hours is completely normal!!! People use the 48 hours a lot but the medical community generally wants under 72 hours. I'm sorry you are dealing with beta hell but just be reassured that this # is completely normal! On the other hand, with your history, I'm sure nothing will "reassure" you completely until you have you baby in your arms. (((HUGS))) P&PT for a healthy 9 months!!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Jenn (28) & DH Zach (28)
Married 9/24/2005

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:14pm
Ugh, the hcg numbers game is no fun at all!! Within 72 hours is completely normal, but having recurrent losses will always make you analyze everything more than the "average" person. Sending you super, duper doubling, tripling, quadrupling vibes for Friday!!

Shawn 
Mom to DS, July 2009
Expecting our little girl after three m/c - EDD 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:28am

hi Karri....anytime, you've had recurrent losses, it's completely normal to doubt 'whatever', when you 1st get a bfp!

Heck, after getting my bfp, I waited 5 days before calling my dr. to set up 1st u/s.  I am almost 5 weeks & I set it up for Nov. 2 (8 weeks).  My average loss if 7, 8 weeks.  (and it's usually a missed m/c) to where, I don't start bleeding, there is just no hb, once checked.

And I haven't said anything to my family, so this time, if this bean doesn't make it? I don't have to go thru all the "I'm sorry's"......it's sad to know we have to think this way, to be prepared, in case this one doesn't work out too.  :smileysad:

And if it does work out & everything will be fine? I won't be sure 'how' to react? I will probably just break down 7 cry!

I am in the 'waiting game' too....nothing else you can do, but wait & see what happens.  Praying for our rainbows!!  :heart:

Kiki (hit my magic age of 45 and no longer TTC),but mom to a beautiful teen DD & 2 angels in heaven & married to my best friend

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:43am

I dont' have any experience with HCG numbers myself but bein the CL here I've seen a lot of women's results and under 72 hours is always a great start. Welcome to the board and I hope your stay is long and uneventful. KUP on friday's numbers

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:52pm
she didn't seem concerned and said it's close enough, but of course that doesn't help me feel better about not being by the book, you know?

Karri

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:36pm

yeah since I got pregnant a week after my loss they checked my numbers every 48 hours for the first two weeks.  I called the next day everytime for the reassurance. If your nervous I would call your doc/midwife tomorrow and ask what they think about it, just for the extra confidence.... I knew that websites all said 48-72 was good, but I wouldnt have felt okay about it unless I asked her...  It will give you a chance to ease your mind.   Hope fridays numbers are great! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 7:09pm
Welcome!!! I don't know much about the doubling but I just wanted to say we are glad to have you!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:53pm
yes, friday. thank you. that is very reassuring to me. it's just so hard at this point. i waited 6 days after seeing a bfp to even get bloodwork done just in case the line went away again. in some sense, i would almost rather not know anything, but i also need reassurance that everything is good, you know?

Karri

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:21pm

First, let me say congrats on your BFP!!! Second, I had the same thing they doubled about 62 hours and i was freaking out, so i called my midwife after I got the results and she said she was completely satisfied as long as they were in 72 hours.  I'm now 16 weeks and everythings good.  I was very worried too.... I think after having losses we worry about everything, especially tests and numbers! Are they going to redraw in a couple of days?   sending prayers for a sticky bean.