Narrowing list

iVillage Member
Narrowing list
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 6:02pm

I'm trying to narrow down my list. What are your opinions on these names? Which of these names would you keep and which would you get rid of? Thanks!

Robert

Thomas

August

Nathaniel

Leo

Dominic

Gabriel

Paul

Philip

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:46am

Hello.  

Sometimes I eliminate names based on the flow w/the last name.  I'll try to do that here w/out the ln, & just based on my opinion.

Robert-This is my small nephew's name.  I don't love it, but it's kind of refreshing on a little kid.  I just prefer Robert though.  Rob/Bob are not nearly as appealing.  Very  dated.

Thomas-I love it.  I dislike Tom & Tommy thought, but find Thomas rather handsome.  

August-Love it.  Not over used either, although there are a lot of little Gus' running around.

Nathaniel-I'm a nanny to a little Nathaniel (nn Nate).  I find it a mouthful, but the nn is spunky & witty.  

Leo-Very popular, but a fun & quircky name. 

Dominic-It's fine, but there aren't any appealing nns.  And it's kind of a mouthful on its own.

Gabriel-Nate's brother; Gabe.  I love Gabriel, but not Gabe as much.  But then Gabriel is a little soft for a man sometimes it seems.

Paul-This is my husband's name, so I'm a tad biased.  Love it!

Philip-Cute, & I love the nn Pip.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:14pm
I love Paul, Gabriel and Thomas.

Philip is my least favorite on the list.

Do any of your names have special meaning for you?
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 9:13am

I love Thomas and Nathaniel.  I'm thinking of using Thomas as a middle name if this little bean is a boy.  My cousin just named her son Nathan (similar to Nathaniel) and he is such a joy so I get good vibes with that name.  He's our little Nate.

Good luck narrowing your list down and figuring out the perfect name for your little one!

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 1:57pm

It's hard for me to say without knowing a bit more (like last name, other sibling names, etc.).  However, just on personal opinion, here are my faves:

August
Leo
Both fabulous and strong boy's names that are not overly popular. 

I have an uncle named Robert who I don't love.  Never been a fan of Thomas, Paul, Philip or Gabriel.

Good luck!

Photobucket,